Sat, 3rd June, 2017 - my annual 200 km Cheshire forum ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k_green

Blue skies :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_175532.jpg
    IMG_20170603_175532.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 71

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Very enjoyable ride, very pleasant company, great weather for cycling, the Venetian Marina is such a tranquil place, enjoyed my "Big Breakfast".

Big thanks to @ColinJ for organising a great day out.

For @ColinJ "The Imagination tree" at Nether Pee-over.

View attachment 355368
Love that bike and tree ! Must get back over there and show the kids

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I got home fine thanks, with a huge grin the final 4 miles as the chips settled and I realised I had cycled all day!

Chips?

The baked potato - smothered in cheese - and piece of rocky road you had for lunch obviously wasn't enough.

I also found myself in need of post-ride nourishment.

Couldn't find any of that, so I settled for a Burger King from Hartshead Moor services instead.

Our leader has been known to have a pizza the size of a dustbin lid after a ride.

k_green

Chips?

The baked potato - smothered in cheese - and piece of rocky road you had for lunch obviously wasn't enough.

Couldn't find any of that, so I settled for a Burger King from Hartshead Moor services instead.

Our leader has been known to have a pizza the size of a dustbin lid after a ride.

There was pizza when I got home too :/ Must pack more flapjack or something next time!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
All these rides go well, but this one went superbly.

As with all the best rides, the chatter was as interesting as the riding.

I learned - and observed - a bit about riding fixed from @skudupnorth, who was on his.

Seems there's quite a bit to riding one on the road in terms of anticipation, and you have to barrel up climbs, which skud did, passing all of us several times.

Then there's @Littgull, who is treating himself to a new Thorn tourer.

He's going down to Somerset to collect it and will ride it back to Lancashire.

As @k_green said: "How cool is that?"

Speaking of Bethan, she told me she's only been cycling seriously for a year, but today she's managed 140 miles at nearly 14mph - that's also pretty cool.

@GuyBoden joined us until the lunch stop - he has a dry wit which appeals to me - and it was also a pleasure to meet @McWobble, who joined us at the lunch stop.

He rode in from Birkenhead and stayed with us until Delamere, so that will be another centurion for the day.

@doughnut helped hold the ride together with his usual strong, steady, riding, and excellent grasp of the route - a good thing because there are lots of turns.

It wouldn't be a long ride for me if I didn't get a bit grumpy at some point, and that opportunity arose as we were almost back at Dunham

Those of you who have done @nickyboy's Llandudno ride will be familiar with the narrow footbridge.

Almost inevitably the flat bars on my ebike (despite being chopped) wouldn't fit - last thing I wanted with 98 miles done, so cue lots of cussing and swearing.

I believe @doughnut may have a video, which he might show you one day if you buy him a pint.

@ColinJ helped me drag the bike over the bridge.

Fitting to mention Colin last, because he organised the ride to his usual high standard, and all I can do is add my thanks to those of others.

Only one pic from the day - I was too busy enjoying myself - a snap taken at the lunch stop while I was on bike watch (having a smoke) as the others ordered the food.

View attachment 355357
Great to ride with you yesterday and your bike was amazing. Did you get a Dunham to Dunham total mileage ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Great to ride with you yesterday and your bike was amazing. Did you get a Dunham to Dunham total mileage ?

I wasn't getting on very well with Mr Garmin as you know, but the ebike has a basic trip computer.

That recorded 99.7 miles.

Good enough for our purposes, but I think it's worth remembering the measurement is based on a simple tyre circumference/wheel revolution count calculation so cannot be 100 per cent accurate.

Wobblers

Euthermic
There was pizza when I got home too :/ Must pack more flapjack or something next time!

Ha ha! I stuffed my face with pizza once I'd got home too!

Thanks for organising this, Colin. I don't head out Cheshire way as much as I should on account of the 20 miles of ghastliness to traverse first, but it's near perfect cycling country. Coupled with the sunshine - we managed to dodge the worst of the showers - and the good company, it all made for the perfect day. A real pleasure to meet you at last, Pale Rider - and that's a very impressive bike you've got.

It's amazing just how quickly and effortlessly the miles fly by in convivial company. It was with a heavy heart that I finally had to say goodbye, and head back westwards. Into the teeth of a headwind, which helps explain the previous effortlessness! I finally got home with 100.03 miles on the Garmin. Clearly it's that last 0.03 mile that's responsible for my seeming inability to walk down stairs today! :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it was a great day out on our bikes. I'm glad that you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

It was the right decision to cut the Swiss Hill climb out - I was curious about it but it would have been totally out of keeping with the character of the rest of the route. Why arbitrarily stick such a tough climb into what is otherwise just a nicely undulating route?

I intend to do the same route again next June, but I will take a look at avoiding the unnecessary visit to Wilmslow. If I can keep the distances the same I will do that, but I felt that timing of the 2 cafe stops was about right so we will have to see. I will keep the route from Goostrey to Manchester the same. Pencil in the first Saturday of June 2018 for a repeat edition!

More like a fitful 2.75 hours ... I am getting too old to be getting by on that amount of sleep! :wacko:

I can empathise @ColinJ, it took me ages to get to sleep last night!
It finally caught up with me! I turned off my alarm and slept for 11 hours post-ride ... That is the longest sleep that I have had in many years!

Thanks for a great ride guys! What a wonderful route :smile: Thanks for planning and organising Colin. 140 miles all in for me :biggrin:
That is a great step up in your riding. Brian told me that you had never even done a 100 mile ride before that - well done!

Another great ride, Colin. Thanks again. Great company and scenery. Didn't realise just how sunny it was; I've picked up a bit of a sunburn. My first 200k.
Well done to you too!

I used some bargain factor 20 sun protection from Lidl and it did the trick. I do have a very slight reddening of my arms, but I burn very easily so that is a win for me.

Very enjoyable ride, very pleasant company, great weather for cycling, the Venetian Marina is such a tranquil place, enjoyed my "Big Breakfast".
I think I might have a go at the veggie all-day breakfast next year!

The marina cafe IS a great place to stop (HERE). For those who haven't been there, give it a go. Considering where it is, it is amazing that they are not charging 'Cheshire prices'. For example, a can of Coke and a piece of cake came to only £1.70.

For @ColinJ "The Imagination tree" at Nether Pee-over.

View attachment 355368
How did I not spot THAT! :whistle:

Chips?

Ha ha! I stuffed my face with pizza once I'd got home too!

I rang my local takeaway from Rochdale and booked my 'dustbin lid'. The 12" veggie pizza was waiting for me when I got there. I add chilli flakes and freshly-ground black pepper, with a side-dish of olives - yum! :hungry:

Afterwards, I dozed with background TV on, too knackered to make the journey up the stairs! I eventually dragged myself up there at 1 am.
Thanks for organising this, Colin. I don't head out Cheshire way as much as I should on account of the 20 miles of ghastliness to traverse first, but it's near perfect cycling country. Coupled with the sunshine - we managed to dodge the worst of the showers - and the good company, it all made for the perfect day. A real pleasure to meet you at last, Pale Rider - and that's a very impressive bike you've got.

It's amazing just how quickly and effortlessly the miles fly by in convivial company. It was with a heavy heart that I finally had to say goodbye, and head back westwards. Into the teeth of a headwind, wihich helps explain the previous effortlessness! I finally got home with 100.03 miles on the Garmin. Clearly it's that last 0.03 mile that's responsible for my seeming inability to walk down stairs today! :smile:
Yes, we were very lucky with the forecast. It was totally 'as advertised' - sunshine nearly all day, lovely warmish cycling conditions. Only a few light showers around 4 pm and that wind. We turned away from the wind after we left you so we started to get a cross/tailwind as we headed back into Manchester.

I am having a very quiet day in today!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I wasn't getting on very well with Mr Garmin as you know, but the ebike has a basic trip computer.

That recorded 99.7 miles.

Good enough for our purposes, but I think it's worth remembering the measurement is based on a simple tyre circumference/wheel revolution count calculation so cannot be 100 per cent accurate.
Many thanks, it will give me an idea

kapelmuur

Veteran
I was out Saturday afternoon; Mobberley, Alderley Edge, coffee at Jodrell Bank and return via Marthall and Great Warford; kept an eye out for you guys and disappointed not to see you.

Also disappointed that you avoided Swiss Hill! I've done it twice but had to stop each time about 2/3rds up as my HR monitor had gone deep into the red and I had to wait for things to settle down. I was curious about how you'd manage.

@Pale Rider, the way to get across the bridge at Dunham is to flip the bike onto its rear wheel with the front in the air. That way the bars clear the bridge handrails.

Top Bottom