SAT NAV for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Allen Lang-Norris

Hi guys,

I recently did my first LEJOG last year and I am going to do it again this year. I need some advice though as my cycle buddy had a SAT NAV which wasn't great. I am doing it alone this year so I'd like a decent one, regardless of cost, what can you recommend? I need

• To be able to download maps
  • See where to go!
  • See things like cycle time, ascent, descent etc
  • Average speed
  • The ability to charge the thing.
Thanks for any help!!

Allen

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Garmin edge 800

zacklaws

Guru
Edge 800 if your more bothered about stats etc, unreliable navigation and having to carry USB chargers etc, Dakota 20 or an Etrex if you want reliable navigation plus stats etc and runs on AA batteries.

I use both 800 or Dakota depending on what I'm doing and what the empasis is on.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Garmin Edge Touring, full colour mapping/ download course etc.
Like the 810 but without the "training" guff.

Garmin also do an external battery pack with solar panel for charging in the field.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Etrex range purely for the ability to use normal batteries. Having a solar panel to recharge isn't a great deal of use in the dark. :tongue:

Binka

Über Member
I've got an Edge Touring which I'm happy with. Also got an etrex which I never found very user friendly to put it mildly.

D

Deleted member 23692

[QUOTE 2986875, member: 30090"]Garmin etrex 30.

The most practical for what you want. Runs off two AA batteries for roughly 25 hours ime.[/QUOTE]... or if you don't need wifi connectivity, barometric altimeter or a 3 axis compass go for the etrex 20. Add a 2gb micro SD card and Open Street Map for free and you can be up and running for around £150

Top Bottom