Sat Nav for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Didn't think Wahoo could do on the fly routing. Doesn't that also require a phone that does that for you?

I agree... Is the elemnt Roam available now? That's supposed to do a2b navigating with offline maps but I can't see it being much better than what's available already... Having said that I'd probably buy wahoo in preference to garmin for a cycle head unit based on my own experiences.

icowden

Veteran
Google maps seems to be getting better and better for good cycle routes IMHO

tom73

Guru
I agree... Is the elemnt Roam available now? That's supposed to do a2b navigating with offline maps but I can't see it being much better than what's available already... Having said that I'd probably buy wahoo in preference to garmin for a cycle head unit based on my own experiences.

Yes it is now available and yes it can do a2b navigation.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I'd tend to agree with @YukonBoy that if your aim is "get me from a to b and keep me off busy routes" ie you want on-the-fly routing, you are probably in for a disappointing experience. ;)
If you plan your routes properly there is no need for on fly routing, i have never needed it, but i have a backup with the phone if i do need it.

OP
OP
Billy Wizz

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Thanks for the replies I will be trying a few of the mentioned apps probably not this weekend with the look of the wind :sad:

Nebulous

Guru

It was a bit of a shock to me to realise that Google maps on my phone was now better than my Garmin satnav in my car. If anyone has the data and deep enough pockets to do it for bikes Google has. Just think of the billions they have spent on street view.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
After reading some of the reports from the ongoing Transcontinental Race. I think the alps and Italian lakes will be littered with Garmins.

I use a Wahoo Bolt, which I find faultless. You can plan a route on the pc sith several apps . I use Ridewithgps and Komoot.

On the road I use Komoot and it transfers straight over to the Bolt

It is simple and accurate.

I've tested Google Maps here in NL, a land with no shortage of cyclepaths and cycle friendly roads. Creating a route on the fly Google maps will still send me across fields. It's useful, but I would always advise someone not to rely on it.

If you plan your routes properly there is no need for on fly routing, i have never needed it, but i have a backup with the phone if i do need it.
Depending on our cycling style there is often a need for on the fly routing. For example, when touring. Planning out a 2000km cycle tour in such detail would drive me demented.:smile: In these cases I still want a decent cycling route as opposed to direct a to b.

GuyBoden

Guru
I still like to have a OS map 1:25K of the local area (I prefer laminated). You can read these at home at the table, while having a cuppa, plot a route with a removable felt tip pen (if laminated) and take it with you on a ride, I find that you will know the area better if you take a map with you and read it often. I also have a Garmin Edge.

I find that the laminated are better.
https://dash4it.co.uk/catalog/category/view/s/os-explorer-maps/id/48/

9780319469354_Area_2015-05.png

Top Bottom