sat nav for pushbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sale Madrid

I wonder if anyone can suggest a good sat nav for my bike. I currently struggle to motivate myself to ride and I'm new to the area where I live. I'd like to set a destination on a sat nav and ride there. I have a tom tom for my car and I think it's great so I'd like a similar format for my bike, if such a format exists for a bike. Someone briefly showed me a Garmin Edge 800 but it looked a bit fiddly, the map was a bit rubbish and he said it was £300, surely there is a better, cheaper alternative that's more like a Tom Tom in ease of use and price. Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whatever you buy, from what you've been posting in the 'other' thread I reckon your Tom Tom will be getting far more use ... :thumbsup:

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
iPhone plus satnav app and waterproof holder. I'll be doing that for my 100 mile ride in August, can't afford to get lost and do even more miles! Gulp!

OP
OP
S

Sale Madrid

iPhone plus satnav app and waterproof holder. I'll be doing that for my 100 mile ride in August, can't afford to get lost and do even more miles! Gulp!
Cool. I've got a samsung galaxy but I've only just worked out how to answer a call. maybe i can get a sat nav for that....and a waterproof cover

HovR

Über Member
Cool. I've got a samsung galaxy but I've only just worked out how to answer a call. maybe i can get a sat nav for that....and a waterproof cover

Samsung Galaxy should have both the "Maps" app (Google Maps) and "Navigation" (Sat Nav style thing) installed by default. I wouldn't worry about rain. Somehow I don't think your first instinct upon seeing it pouring down would be to go out for a cycle ride. :smile:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
One of the biggest advantages of the Edge over many other sat nav's on a bike is the ability to configure the device so that it does not utilize main routes such as motorways etc. A generic sat nav will in many cases take you directly towards these.

OP
OP
S

Sale Madrid

So maps/apps on an android phone will give motorways as an option. That wouldn't be any good.
Samsung Galaxy should have both the "Maps" app (Google Maps) and "Navigation" (Sat Nav style thing) installed by default. I wouldn't worry about rain. Somehow I don't think your first instinct upon seeing it pouring down would be to go out for a cycle ride. :smile:
I've decided going forward, the best way is to throw hundreds and hundreds of pounds at it to see if that motivates me. And Jason, if you happen to see a bloke with a smart carbon bike, garmin edge 800 and sky kit pedalling along, crying and cussing, don't even think about speaking to him :smile:

defy-one

I hope your joking!
Cycling isn't about spending lots of money. Get out a ride whatever you have before upgrading to expensive equipment :becool:

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
So maps/apps on an android phone will give motorways as an option. That wouldn't be any good.
I've decided going forward, the best way is to throw hundreds and hundreds of pounds at it to see if that motivates me. And Jason, if you happen to see a bloke with a smart carbon bike, garmin edge 800 and sky kit pedalling along, crying and cussing, don't even think about speaking to him :smile:

I'll try not to! Where in Chorley do you live? I'm in Adlington on the fairview.

OP
OP
S

Sale Madrid

I'm in the process of moving - living with my mate in Tyldesley while I sort out my Chorley move - Buckshaw village. I know Adlington - Mr Fredricks ice cream shop

Top Bottom