sat nav for pushbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
How do you mean? Ring some one and ask them the way.:smile:
No, I mean using a maps app or GPS.

betty swollocks

large member
Sorry, but what's wrong with a map?
With an os map, you get and idea of context ie where you are to everything else and and indication of the terrain.
Plus you are the sole arbiter of where you go and sudden changes of route on a whim are possible and a delight :smile:

bigjim

Legendary Member
My Garmin Etrex legend has a goto feature that will give you turn by turn directions and a nice pink line to follow. You can pick one up for about £60.

So Your Garmin etrex Legend has a go to feature on it but can you load the opencyclemap.org on to it with cycle routes on it ok I see you have to buy the download and its about £15.00 I think As I would take a map with me anyway (for a bigger view) but it would be good to see the minor roads to avoid the main lot of traffic even if it takes a little longer, surely more scenic too. Thanks for your input I will go and see if I can find one and perhaps a review of it too.
Regards Antnee

So I have been and done abit more research and found that I can't use opencyclemap.org with the basic Garmin etrex legend its has to have an SD card slot ( which the etrex Legend cx appears to have) so you can download the whole of the UK and whatever european country you want on to it. But I can't make out if I can use the cyclestreets.net with it to download to it as the webpage is a bit dauting to an older person like me I have used cyclestreets.net and copied the route out so I know its a pretty good site.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I have all of europe on a disc that came with my garmin. Does not have to have the card slot, but worth having. You can just plot your routes using , I think any site, and download it to the directly to the Garmin. You can use opencyclemap and save to the garmin. I would save as a GPX file to Mapsource which comes with the Garmin and download from there. I use Bikeroute toaster but you can create your routes in Mapsource. It's IMO not hard. I am sure there are lots of members on here and other sites [type Garmin Legend into this one, http://cycleseven.org] using the Legend with more knowledge than me. I've used mine in France, germany, Austria, Czech Rep. Would not be without it.

Top Bottom