Sat Nav v Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd just tear the necessary pages out of a 4" to the mile road atlas. Fine if you're not using anything smaller than a B road and they weigh bugger all and take up no space.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Maps have a sense of romance and adventure, that GPS can never come even close to. There is a sense of satisfaction about using the paper ones, and getting to your destination , even after you have made a load of mistakes.. GPS is rather like cheating in exams...no fun at all.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The other huge benefit of GPS is that you get a record of exactly where you went, which is great fun to look back on and to share with others when suggesting routes. Here are a few examples from my LEJOG.

The overall GPS track, imported into Google Earth:
lejog-route-ge.jpg

An example of a day's ride in map form:
lejog04-map.jpg

The same day's ride in GE form:
lejog04-ge-day.jpg

There's a lot of almost religious fervour for or against GPS. Personally I take the view that paper maps and GPS each have their strengths and weaknesses, and using both allows you to benefit from the strengths of both.

Gixxerman

Guru
Matthames said:
If it were me, I would use both, but not relying one more than the other.

Satnavs can lull you into a false sense of security. TBH if I were in your shoes I would probably use a simple GPS receiver which you can program in some waypoints. You can then combine this with using maps to plot out your route using the best path. By combining both, if the GPS packs up in the middle of nowhere, then you will always have your maps to fall back on.

It worries me the number of people who rely on satnav for their navigation. It should be treated like any other forms of navigation as merely a tool.

Very good advice. I have memory map on my Mio PDA with OS maps loaded.
I use this for hill walking (an activity at which I am very experienced). At first I used to take this and paper maps. But as I got more and more confident with the PDA I started to use the paper maps less and less, until I eventually didn't bother with the peper maps anymore. This worked fine for ages until one fateful day.
I was hill walking in the lake district on new years day. The weather was dry, but very cold. For the non-engineers among us, the cold seriously affects battery performance. I was late starting my walk due to getting up late and traffic problems. You can see where all this is going. I was about 3/4 round my circular walk, and it was starting to get dark. So out came the head torch. Then I got the dreaded "main battery low alarm" on the PDA. Not long after that, the battery failed completely and I had no map, and the light was really starting to fade very fast now. So I decided to make my way down immediately using a compass bearing instead of finding my planned decent path, as getting off the hill anywhere is better than being benighted on the tops. Then my headtorch started to fade, then soon after I was in total darkness, as the headtorch batteries failed. I am still quite high up (>2000ft) and on rough, steep ground, and lost. After some rather unsucessful attempts at walking using my phone as a torch, which resulted in a few falls (not serious, but worrying nontheless), I had to swallow my pride and call out mountain rescue. It was extremely embarassed and apolagetic but also very greatful (so much in fact that I sent the MRT a donation, which though generous no doubt did not cover the cost of my rescue). I now always carry a paper map (and spare batteries).

Cathryn

Legendary Member
slowmotion said:
Maps have a sense of romance and adventure, that GPS can never come even close to. There is a sense of satisfaction about using the paper ones, and getting to your destination , even after you have made a load of mistakes.. GPS is rather like cheating in exams...no fun at all.

Exactly. Maps ARE romantic, I could stare at them for hours! I can imagine GPS are useful, and checking maps all the time on a bike IS annoying...but it's all about maps. One of the best bits of any tour is getting the new maps and starting to plan. It gives me the shivers!!!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Cathryn said:
Maps ARE romantic
Though rather less so in the pissing rain at the end of a knackering day when you just want to be at the campsite now ...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Ben Lovejoy said:
Though rather less so in the pissing rain at the end of a knackering day when you just want to be at the campsite now ...

A lightweight tarp and a trekking pole provide me (and my bike) with ample shelter to sit out the rain, read a map, drink/make a brew and carry on later.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
Exactly. Maps ARE romantic, I could stare at them for hours! I can imagine GPS are useful, and checking maps all the time on a bike IS annoying...but it's all about maps. One of the best bits of any tour is getting the new maps and starting to plan. It gives me the shivers!!!

Nah, get a bar bag with a map case on top. Unless you're very unlucky with your route cutting across corners all the time, you can get a good long stretch in, and then you have an excuse to stop when you need to turn it over.

samid

Veteran
psmiffy said:
and the GPS directs you straight to

On my Garmin Vista HCx, you can set the routing so that it avoids motorways. Combined with Garmin City Navigator maps this works a treat - e.g. when I was riding to Edinburgh on A1, it knew exactly where it became off-limits to cycles and directed me to A199 (IIRC).

Generally speaking, I agree with people saying that the combination of GPS and paper maps works best. I find it next to impossible to plan the next day's route on the tiny GPS screen - but once you have the plan, GPS makes keeping to it easy. As well as keeping track of where you have actually been. Also, on several occasions "custom POIs" with campsite locations saved my day.

Top Bottom