Satnav question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
If you want to keep your maps updated then do your research before you buy.

A lot charge for updates, and sometimes it's not much different in price to buying a new sat nav.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
[QUOTE 3867807, member: 43827"]Seeing the other thread on satnavs reminded me that I would find satnav handy for driving round some of the larger towns and cities but am having trouble finding a suitable one.

All of the main players seem to require Windows to update them regularly, but I only have Ubuntu operating systems on my laptop and desktop.

Does anyone have experience of using satnavs with other than Windows OS and specifically Linux based systems like Ubuntu?[/QUOTE]

I use a Win7 virtual machine to run BaseCamp, but that's for the eTrex

Buck

Guru
[QUOTE 3867807, member: 43827"]Seeing the other thread on satnavs reminded me that I would find satnav handy for driving round some of the larger towns and cities but am having trouble finding a suitable one.

All of the main players seem to require Windows to update them regularly, but I only have Ubuntu operating systems on my laptop and desktop.

Does anyone have experience of using satnavs with other than Windows OS and specifically Linux based systems like Ubuntu?[/QUOTE]

I can't answer your main question but do you have a smartphone?

If so I can recommend the "Here" sat nav app. It is free and you can download the maps for free as well. It uses GPS so doesn't use your phone data allowance either (unlike Google maps)

It was originally shipped with Nokia smartphones but has recently been launched on iOS as well. Great bit of software and as yet hasn't let me down.

Top Bottom