Saucy thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please don't shoot the messenger. Kecap Manis means Sweet (Manis) Ketchup (Kecap) is Malay / Indonesian. It is not a table sauce. It is a cooking sauce...
No shooting necessary, but in my house it's both: I've been splashing it on as a table sauce for a year without coming to grief, and propose to continue. Ketchup not a table sauce? Howay...
...like fish sauce which is very popular across South East Asia.
I'm off the critter based foodstuffs at the moment but used to use fish sauce the same way, as an ingredient and as a condiment. Susan Sontag praised the nutritional value of fish sauce on a visit to north Vietnam during the war; boiled rice sprinkled with fish sauce being the staple diet of poor Vietnamese.
This thread's simmering nicely. Served with a garnish of chimichurri and we're almost there.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'm getting a bit nervous. There seem to be squirty sauces on display. It's not a good sign.....

I'm working on a squeezy dispenser for pilchards I'm sure you'd enjoy.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
View attachment 598713

Used to be pretty good but apparently the the owner of the company had some disagreements with the people who supplied him with the red peppers leading them to cut ties and the new recipe isnt as good as it used to be.
OK, tried aversion of this tonight - Thai Dragon.

Nice level of nippiness, not overpowering. Will certainly use again but not the full, creaminess of flavour that the Orlando has.

7/10

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
One of the things that's helped me in my current diet has been using this sauce in spicy chicken wraps -
View attachment 598551

They're tasty, filling and have helped me lose a stone and a half. I came across the sauce in Spain and really like it, even to the point of buying it on Amazon. But they have no stock :ohmy: Can anyone suggest a more readily available alternative (not chunky salsa - shudder)?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30399498...7779&msclkid=e60334293ee21b405d9954c731a14150

No shooting necessary, but in my house it's both: I've been splashing it on as a table sauce for a year without coming to grief, and propose to continue. Ketchup not a table sauce? Howay...

I'm off the critter based foodstuffs at the moment but used to use fish sauce the same way, as an ingredient and as a condiment. Susan Sontag praised the nutritional value of fish sauce on a visit to north Vietnam during the war; boiled rice sprinkled with fish sauce being the staple diet of poor Vietnamese.
This thread's simmering nicely. Served with a garnish of chimichurri and we're almost there.
Much of Asia don't use table sauce. If you want a dish extra spicy or chilli hot, these are done at the cooking stage. Ketchup is a western construct ie Tomato Ketchum from the US. It was taken to into usage during the colonia era in South East Asia. Many of the Malay lexicon carry English word but spelling is straight interpretation - kecap.

The Malay and Indonesians took the Soya sauce from Chinese migrants and added sugar to it as their traditional dishes are sweeter. The Chinese communities in South East Asia however continue to use their light and dark soya source but it is never sweetened like kecap manis

As to my first point about sauces added during cooking and not after. When you you go out for Thai, Indian, Chinese food, their dishes are served without sauce on the table. They will happy accommodate any requests for sauce from Western clients as it is gets too hard to explain.

In their style of eating, there is not a single dish served such as steak or fish or chips. It is always rice, a veg , a meat dish or two. More often one dish is more tangy, one more spicy etc so there is variety of flavours at play.

If there is a side condiments for served meal in Asia it is usually sauce with cut red chilli or green chilli. It is for dipping meat or seafood morsels from a served dish. So dipping is in but chosen sauce is specific for the meat or seafood. So for Satay, you dip in peanut sauce and no other sauce.

Next time when you visit a Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese or a Malay restaurant note who how Asian families take to their dishes.

Thanks for taking the time.
I get most, if not all, of that, really I do. Have been around for a while and have had some suppers. Had a significant other from China, back when I had the energy for such things, who initiated me - inter alia - into asian cuisine. So I don't dispute your helpful analysis.
However cuisine, like other cultural forms - language for example - is a living, mutating thing, transforming as it meets and rubs up against other cultures and influences: the British sweetening of Indian dishes, Belgians slopping mayo on their frites, Americans eating their sausages and bacon with a dollop of marmalade. In my lifetime Patak's pickles have been eviscerated: back in the 70's you'd travel far to find an Indian grocer stocking their explosive lime pickle. Now something bearing the name but to a de-natured recipe is on the shelf of every supermarket.
So at home I'm cooking non-asian veggie stuff, mostly, and a drizzle of kecap manis lifts and deepens things a treat. I say mostly, because I still have the occasional sly fried egg which certainly benefits from a splash. Unless and until the Asian Sauce Police take me away for re-education I'm going to stick with it. 🍳

Eziemnaik

Über Member
New favourite
IMG_20210927_201303.jpg

Top Bottom