Saucy thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
One of the things that's helped me in my current diet has been using this sauce in spicy chicken wraps -
1626015403289.png

They're tasty, filling and have helped me lose a stone and a half. I came across the sauce in Spain and really like it, even to the point of buying it on Amazon. But they have no stock :ohmy: Can anyone suggest a more readily available alternative (not chunky salsa - shudder)?

Finally, a thread about sauce!
A supermarket home delivery during lockdown substituted my requested soy sauce with a bottle of something called Kecap Manis.
I shelved it and scowled at it for a few months until, finding myself without alternatives, gave it a begrudging go.
Wowser!
Think denouement of 'Green Eggs and Ham'.
Sweet aromatic soy sauce. I've tried a few variants now. Best are those made with molasses rather than sugar, though even the sugar based ones can be redeemed by a spicy blend taking things down low and grunty.

You're welcome.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's a tomato based pepper sauce. I'm wary of the pepper sauces at supermarkets because so many seem intent on burning your mouth off.

A supermarket home delivery during lockdown substituted my requested soy sauce with a bottle of something called Kecap Manis.
I shelved it and scowled at it for a few months until, finding myself without alternatives, gave it a begrudging go.
Wowser!
Sweet aromatic soy sauce. I've tried a few variants now. Best are those made with molasses rather than sugar, though even the sugar based ones can be redeemed by a spicy blend taking things down low and grunty.

You're welcome.
Kecap Manis

I've used this recipe . It's very versatile

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Huy-Fong-Sriracha.jpg

Used to be pretty good but apparently the the owner of the company had some disagreements with the people who supplied him with the red peppers leading them to cut ties and the new recipe isnt as good as it used to be.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
One of the things that's helped me in my current diet has been using this sauce in spicy chicken wraps -
View attachment 598551

They're tasty, filling and have helped me lose a stone and a half. I came across the sauce in Spain and really like it, even to the point of buying it on Amazon. But they have no stock :ohmy: Can anyone suggest a more readily available alternative (not chunky salsa - shudder)?
Just mix mayo ketchup and sirracha
Add some smoked paprika for extra oompah

Eziemnaik

Über Member
While on the subject sirracha is so 2018
This is the new king:
16261851430142694457365774716138.jpg

Just between heroin and crack cocaine in terms of addictiveness

Wowser!

You're welcome.
Please don't shoot the messenger. Kecap Manis means Sweet (Manis) Ketchup (Kecap) is Malay / Indonesian. It is not a table sauce. It is a cooking sauce like fish sauce which is very popular across South East Asia. Very popular in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei. It is considered key and must in every household. It finds itself in many dishes. It is quite thick and gooey.

Where kecap manis is mentioned as a table sauce it will be someone who is not from their culture

Soya Sauce, both light and dark which is the main ingredient in Kecap Manis is both a cooking and table sauce that was brought to South East Asia by Chinese migrants. Soya sauce if used as table sauce is mainly for dipping or a few drops like salt.

I adore sauces and have been trying them across Caribbean and Asia both of whom have the best selection for my taste buds. Best tasting food to taste sauce are fried chicken, noodles and rice dishes.

I only know the peanut version. Lovely smoky flavour to it.
View attachment 598966
Excellent dipping sauce for Hong Kong style dishes such as roast meat - pork, duck, goose. Remember this part of the World, sauces are mainly for dipping. It is now widely available around the World due to Chinese diaspora. No self respecting Asian grocer will be caught without stock of these for their customers.

1626188012328.png
1626187638700.png
1626187197177.png

Peri Peri sauce is best out of Africa. Created by Portuguese migrants who went to South Africa and Mozambique.

Caribbean hot pepper sauces made from bonnet pepper is great with all forms of barbecued meats and seafood.

Sriracha is arguably the most popular Asian sauce in the World. Sweet Chilli. It is manufactured in California by Vietnamese migrants who left after the war.

Last edited:
Top Bottom