Sausage Reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
giphy.gif

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Seeing this thread reminded me of......

robrinay

I tried on and off for years to make my own sausages using recipes from the web but unsatisfyingly and unsatisfactorily. In the end I gave in and bought this book. The Cumberland recipe is good (see my modified recipe in the next post), and uses pretty standard ingredients. I cheat and use Sainsbury’s pork mince. They’re better in skins but if you don’t want to bother with the expense just make patties by hand or with a burger press
https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Paul-Peacock/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sausages/17065630

robrinay

Cumberland sausage

Based on the original recipe brought over by German Lead Miners- Cumberland recipe),

Use chilled ingredients (wine, mince and purée) and keep the mix cool.

The traditional recipe involves mincing fatty meat - if you make patties the fat renders and leaks out into the pan , leaving the flavour behind in cooked lean patties

Ingredients:

750 gramme pack of Sainsburies or anyone else’s, mince (20% fat)

50 grammes breadcrumbs from good bread

75 ml red wine

7 grammes salt

3 grammes black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground mace

1 heaped teaspoon dried sage

Method:

Mix thoroughly, form into balls and flatten or use a burger press.

You can fry a small amount of the mix before shaping to test for flavour and add a bit more spice 'to taste' if preferred.

For tomato sausage add up to 80 ml tomato purée and less red wine.

Eat on the same day or store in the fridge and eat on the following day and freeze any extra as the only preservatives in this mix are salt and the red wine.

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
Last summer I rode from Chesterfield to Cowmans in Clitheroe, bought a mix of half a dozen and hooked up with a mate and his portable BBQ. The best one was just called something like "old fashion" but they were all so much better than run of the mill. I spent the whole ride back wishing I'd got a dozen.

Top Bottom