sausages and mash

Abitrary

Jamie Oliver just made sausages and mash...

Why?

Has anyone ordered sausages and mash in the pub and *not* realised they made a garguantuan error after about 2 mouthfuls?

Bigtallfatbloke

That is what I had for dinner last night

OP
A

Abitrary

Sausages cannot work with mash for a simple reason:

Sausages are basically meat mash in bag, and cannot be accompanied therefore by more mash, unbagged or not.

Melvil

Abitrary said:
Sausages cannot work with mash for a simple reason:

Sausages are basically meat mash in bag, and cannot be accompanied therefore by more mash, unbagged or not.
You hit the nail on the head - and that, my son, is why us Brits feel the urge to grill/fry our sausages until they have a rock-hard skin, preferably at least 5mm deep and composed of pure carbon!

domtyler

Über Member
One of my favourite meals I must say. Three succulent bangers lodged in a mound of mash potatoes with half a tonne of veggies and then drowned in a lovely rich gravy. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Abitrary said:
To be honest, I think it was a bit patronising of Jamie Oliver to expect cockneys to eat mash.
Your mistake was to watch Jamie Oliver on telly and not expect to feel wound up.

OP
A

Abitrary

domtyler said:
One of my favourite meals I must say. Three succulent bangers lodged in a mound of mash potatoes with half a tonne of veggies and then drowned in a lovely rich gravy. ;)
Aha. Gravy. The final culprit in the unholy trinity.

Gravy just turns mash into potato soup, and therefore an even less stable accompaniment to sausages.

longers

Veteran
Abitrary said:
Aha. Gravy. The final culprit in the unholy trinity.

Gravy just turns mash into potato soup, and therefore an even less stable a damn fine accompaniment to sausages.
This is much better ;).

longers

Veteran
Abitrary said:
Mash doesn't only work with something like a lamb shank and a blackcurrant jus gravy.
How right you are. I agree with you completly. Especially with the bit about jus being a wanky name for gravy.

OP
A

Abitrary

longers said:
How right you are. I agree with you completly. Especially with the bit about jus being a wanky name for gravy.
Whoops, sorry. I meant *redcurrant* jus.

Plus sausages and mash is always too hot, and burns your mouth, and the next minute it's too cold and crap.

Talk about unstable ingredients!

longers

Veteran
I think you've perhaps been making it wrong. Perhaps Jamie Oliver does need to show people how to make it correctly.

I think the recipe is improved if it's bangers and mash not sausage and mash. Very important that bit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
delb0y CC Cafe - General Chat 75
M CC Cafe - General Chat 31
nickyboy Food & Drink 101
Top Bottom