1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sausages and mash

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Abitrary, 24 Jan 2008.

1. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Jamie Oliver just made sausages and mash...

Why?

Has anyone ordered sausages and mash in the pub and *not* realised they made a garguantuan error after about 2 mouthfuls?

2. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

That is what I had for dinner last night

3. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Sausages cannot work with mash for a simple reason:

Sausages are basically meat mash in bag, and cannot be accompanied therefore by more mash, unbagged or not.

4. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

You hit the nail on the head - and that, my son, is why us Brits feel the urge to grill/fry our sausages until they have a rock-hard skin, preferably at least 5mm deep and composed of pure carbon!

5. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

To be honest, I think it was a bit patronising of Jamie Oliver to expect cockneys to eat mash.

6. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

One of my favourite meals I must say. Three succulent bangers lodged in a mound of mash potatoes with half a tonne of veggies and then drowned in a lovely rich gravy. ;)

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Your mistake was to watch Jamie Oliver on telly and not expect to feel wound up.

8. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Aha. Gravy. The final culprit in the unholy trinity.

Gravy just turns mash into potato soup, and therefore an even less stable accompaniment to sausages.

9. longers

longers Veteran

This is much better ;).

10. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Mash only works with something like a lamb shank and a blackcurrant jus.

11. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Sussex Brewery in Emsworth.....

Oder the sausages - any of the dozen options and you will NOT regret it!

12. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

I'd regret it if they came with mash.

13. longers

longers Veteran

How right you are. I agree with you completly. Especially with the bit about jus being a wanky name for gravy.

14. OP
    OP
    Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Whoops, sorry. I meant *redcurrant* jus.

Plus sausages and mash is always too hot, and burns your mouth, and the next minute it's too cold and crap.

Talk about unstable ingredients!

15. longers

longers Veteran

I think you've perhaps been making it wrong. Perhaps Jamie Oliver does need to show people how to make it correctly.

I think the recipe is improved if it's bangers and mash not sausage and mash. Very important that bit.