sausages and mash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
so bonj and arbitrary are both partial to a lamb shank? who'd have thought it :smile:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
i must say i'm definitely with abitrary on this one. Lamb shank, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smile::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Plus the fat in the skin of the shank obviates the need for too much gravy.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Abitrary said:
Judas!!! I thought you at least would back me up!

Sorry!
IMO, good food is not about being complex or clever, but about doing simple things really well. Sausage and Mash is a perfect example, it can be as bland as cack, but when done well with sausages made by a real artisan and a good combination of flavours, Bangers and Mash can be a feast for Kings.

I took my Customer to "The Big Bang", he's the son of a Bavarian Butcher...somebody who knows his Sausages...he was mightily impressed!

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
Sorry!
IMO, good food is not about being complex or clever, but about doing simple things really well. Sausage and Mash is a perfect example, it can be as bland as cack, but when done well with sausages made by a real artisan and a good combination of flavours, Bangers and Mash can be a feast for Kings.

But you've studied this stuff!!!! Surely you know about textures and stuff.

Sometimes I feel an echo of a heave eating sausages and mash drenched in gravy.

I'd much rather eat heinz big soup.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Abitrary said:
But you've studied this stuff!!!! Surely you know about textures and stuff.
Sometimes I feel an echo of a heave eating sausages and mash drenched in gravy.

I'd much rather eat heinz big soup.

Exactly...that's why I suggest you need educating :smile::biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

longers said:
My sausages come in food parcels from here.
Thanks Mum :smile:.

More nice sausages here.

I've got nothing against decent sausages. I always get the top of range ones with more than 70% meat.

I think I've touched a nerve with the mash thing, and that nerve is just that we're brainwashed into eating it... very possibly through comics like the Dandy.

In germany they eat sausages with a complimentary food like sourkraut, rather than a synonomous one like mash.

In france they eat them with apples.

In arab countries they simply have them in bread.

freakhatz

Can anyone tell me where to get a decent French sausage? No? Thought as much.. When will they learn not to over-salt them?

wafflycat

Proper sausage & mash with a good rich onion gravy is food of the gods.

Currently got some sausages in from the local farm. Pigs raised there, taken to abbatoir less than 20 miles away for slaughter, carcasses butchered & sausages prepared for sale back at the farm. Good quality *local* pork used. Beautifully smooth mash, with butter, salt, a little nutmeg & black pepper. Lovely thick onion gravy.

Delicious.

None of this namby-pamby 'jus' crap.:biggrin:

I'll bet you have 'creme anglais' instead of proper custard, too, Abitrary.:smile:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

wafflycat said:
Proper sausage & mash with a good rich onion gravy is food of the gods.

That is the food of the babies. Also too much onion in the gravy on the mash just makes slime.

Why do no other civilised countries eat this?

Decent sausages should either be eaten with bread or pastry, or in the same fashion as a steak.

Noodley

I'll tell you what. There's nowt as good as a good banger.

Bangers and Mash = good.
Toad in the Hole = very very good.
Sausage, Bacon, Egg, Black Pudding, Haggis, Beans, Tomatoes, Potato Scones, Fried Bread = exceptional.

:smile:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Noodley said:
I'll tell you what. There's nowt as good as a good banger.

Bangers and Mash = good.
Toad in the Hole = very very good.
Sausage, Bacon, Egg, Black Pudding, Haggis, Beans, Tomatoes, Potato Scones, Fried Bread = exceptional.

:smile:

I was just getting on to that. The best compliment for decent sausage is more meat... but it's a very difficult balancing act.

Abitrary said:
I was just getting on to that. The best compliment for decent sausage is more meat... but it's a very difficult balancing act.
Go to Prague. Find a pub. Dine on lard with crunchy bits followed by meat sausage, pork steak, bacon, another sausage and a dollop of cabbage, crying softly on the edge of your plate. If you want tangential, sit sideways on your chair.

Top Bottom