sausages and mash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Jamie Oliver just made sausages and mash...

Why?

Has anyone ordered sausages and mash in the pub and *not* realised they made a garguantuan error after about 2 mouthfuls?

Bigtallfatbloke

That is what I had for dinner last night

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Sausages cannot work with mash for a simple reason:

Sausages are basically meat mash in bag, and cannot be accompanied therefore by more mash, unbagged or not.

Melvil

Abitrary said:
Sausages cannot work with mash for a simple reason:

Sausages are basically meat mash in bag, and cannot be accompanied therefore by more mash, unbagged or not.

You hit the nail on the head - and that, my son, is why us Brits feel the urge to grill/fry our sausages until they have a rock-hard skin, preferably at least 5mm deep and composed of pure carbon!

domtyler

Über Member
One of my favourite meals I must say. Three succulent bangers lodged in a mound of mash potatoes with half a tonne of veggies and then drowned in a lovely rich gravy. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Abitrary said:
To be honest, I think it was a bit patronising of Jamie Oliver to expect cockneys to eat mash.

Your mistake was to watch Jamie Oliver on telly and not expect to feel wound up.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

domtyler said:
One of my favourite meals I must say. Three succulent bangers lodged in a mound of mash potatoes with half a tonne of veggies and then drowned in a lovely rich gravy. ;)

Aha. Gravy. The final culprit in the unholy trinity.

Gravy just turns mash into potato soup, and therefore an even less stable accompaniment to sausages.

longers

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Aha. Gravy. The final culprit in the unholy trinity.

Gravy just turns mash into potato soup, and therefore an even less stable a damn fine accompaniment to sausages.

This is much better ;).

longers

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Mash doesn't only work with something like a lamb shank and a blackcurrant jus gravy.

How right you are. I agree with you completly. Especially with the bit about jus being a wanky name for gravy.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

longers said:
How right you are. I agree with you completly. Especially with the bit about jus being a wanky name for gravy.

Whoops, sorry. I meant *redcurrant* jus.

Plus sausages and mash is always too hot, and burns your mouth, and the next minute it's too cold and crap.

Talk about unstable ingredients!

longers

Legendary Member
I think you've perhaps been making it wrong. Perhaps Jamie Oliver does need to show people how to make it correctly.

I think the recipe is improved if it's bangers and mash not sausage and mash. Very important that bit.

Top Bottom