Saving a Mercian frame - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfa GT

Hi all

I'm looking into trying to save an 80s mercian frame which has a fair bit of surface rust. I was thinking of getting it painted but is there a way to preserve it as it is now with rust and all without it getting worse? It's only original once after all!

Thanks
DSC_0867.JPG
DSC_0866.JPG
DSC_0864.JPG
DSC_0861.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0863.JPG
    DSC_0863.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 11

midlife

Guru
Frame looks like a Mercian Campionissimo with Haden lugs. it looks like all of the original paint has gone? Maybe time to refinish.

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Most of the original paint has gone but you can still see glimpses around the frame. It was originally a gun metal grey type colour anyway. I'd like to try and get some of the rust off and seal it to preserve whatever of the paint is left. Is it possible?

midlife

Guru
There's something on you tube about doing that sort of thing to an old Claud Butler, it's been posted on here a couple of times. I'll have a hunt.

D

Deleted member 26715

Strip it down & then clear lacquer the frame, you may have to test it somewhere that can't be seen just in case reacts, it will need wiping down with cleaning rags.

midlife

Guru
Another Campionissimo :smile:

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

I'm a fan of original patina, but I'm also a chicken. It's probably ok, but I'd want that pain off to check the integrity of the frame where its corroded.
Get what you mean but if i can get away without painting then I'd like to. The you tube video above makes me want to do it even more!

gbb

Legendary Member
Colleague of mine has a circa 1964 Lambretta with all its nicks, dents and scratches for all to see in it's original paint. It has a charm all of it's own. Lovely idea to retain and preserve the original paintwork and decals.

Top Bottom