Say hello to my new best friend :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I found a picture of a Lenton from the same year, and it has the grips mine should have. They are perished but at least i now know roughly what they look like. I'm going to get some cloth bar tape as a temporary measure, but I am going to keep hunting and hopefully i will find some original grips in good condition. After looking at old catalogs, it seems that lots of models of bicycle came with those grips as standard for at least 10 years so there must be a fair few of them still out there. The most likely case will be me finding a whole bike with a pair on, hopefully I can buy the bike take the grips then sell it on again. I want this bike to be exactly like it was when it was made. Some Dunlop red wall tyres will be the next near to impossible thing on the list to find! But it's all good fun, it's part of what I like about bicycle collecting.

Attachments

• rtsurt5u.png
    rtsurt5u.png
    361.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
U

User42423

Yeah, it's probably going to be impossible to find genuine replacements so I think i will go for something like this, just plain thin bar tape. I'm not sure what kind of tape this is though?

I think Raleigh used thin grey tape, rather than actual grips. Grips were used more on roadsters.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I think Raleigh used thin grey tape, rather than actual grips. Grips were used more on roadsters.

After a few hours of searching google and old catalogs, I think they did use extra long grey rubber grips on the racers during the 50's. They were used on many models and makes of bikes under Raleigh Industries so hopefully I shouldn't have to much trouble trying to find some.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I'm undecided what tyres to get. I'm thinking either all black or amber walls? What do people think would look best? Out the factory it would of had Dunlop red walls but I'm never going to find those so I'm leaning more towards some Raleigh amber walls?

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 55

Daddybus

Über Member
You'll probably have just as much trouble with ambers if they're 26" x 11/4" I wanted some but could only find white or black wall ....never seen (or heard) of red wall ... Is it a wall or stripe like a chopper?

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

You'll probably have just as much trouble with ambers if they're 26" x 11/4" I wanted some but could only find white or black wall ....never seen (or heard) of red wall ... Is it a wall or stripe like a chopper?

Yes they are 26 x 1 1 1/4. A bit of a nightmare size I know. This is from the 1956 Rudge catalog, It has Dunlop Speed tyres which look like they have red walls? Unless that's supposed to be amber?

Attachments

• Rudge.png
    Rudge.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Look very cool if you can get 'em ...

Looks like I'm going to have to get all black for now, then just keep looking for some amber or reds.

@Daddybus on your Rudge Aero what size is written on the tyre? Should be something like 37-597 or 32-597? Because Yours will have the exact same size wheels as mine and I don't want to order the wrong size.

Cheers

stevevw

Guru
I saw on Velosolo site earlier that they had some grey longish grips that may tied you over. They are 135mm - 5" 5/16 worth a look.

I am 99% certain that the tyres should be gumwalls. there should be an advert in the news & views classified section for some. I have bought some in the last couple of years so should not be too hard to find.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I got the bike today in the post. It's all in good order with no damage. I'm chuffed to bits with it and I can't get over how good the condition is. I couldn't resist taking some more pics for you all. I can't wait to crack on after Christmas, clean it up and get it on the road. :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1995.JPG
    IMG_1995.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

You can just about see the Rudge logo on the rear mudguard, it's a shame it's mostly gone though. I think you can get replacement stickers, im going to try and find one to go on there. Also it has flared handlebars, almost kinda like lauterwasser bars, i've never seen bars like that on one of these so I'm not sure if there are original or not? Also shouldn't the lamp mount have an "R" on it?

Attachments

• IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 50

Daddybus

Über Member
Very nice.... I got a mudguard sticker (listed as n.o.s.) from the bay £5ish? think they still list 'em. My lamp bracket was the same as yours btw but that may mean nothing as the bars had been changed.

Top Bottom