Say you were given £10k to treat yourself, what would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If it had to be a thing and the money landed in my lap I’d break my watch buying rulz about paying over retail and go for a Rolex Milgauss (blue dial with green crystal) , although @Fab Foodie ‘s impeccable taste in chairs reminded me how much I’ve coveted an Eames lounger.

For experience, I’d see how far 10 large would get me along a watchmaking course. The answer is likely not too far but the journey would be fun.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
One of these
Snoek_web_full.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If it had to be a thing and the money landed in my lap I’d break my watch buying rulz about paying over retail and go for a Rolex Milgauss (blue dial with green crystal) , although @Fab Foodie ‘s impeccable taste in chairs reminded me how much I’ve coveted an Eames lounger.

For experience, I’d see how far 10 large would get me along a watchmaking course. The answer is likely not too far but the journey would be fun.

On the watchmaking front, you've got to buy George Daniels' book "watchmaking". He explains how to build a watch totally from scratch (yeah right!) but never mind practicality, it's a stunning book, but just try not to drool over the pictures. You can still get the book for £30 to £40 and it's worth every penny. Much cheaper to build your own than buy one of George's. This one had an auction estimate of £4-5 million

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brutal.....

You could buy an avocado bathroom suite with the change from the chair, and still have a few quid left for a Brutus shirt and a pair of Lionel Blairs.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I bought an 18 ft Touring Caravan.
We took it to 4 campsites in Cornwall over the first year that we had it ... all did storage and camping.
Selected the one we liked best and left it there ever since.
Long weekends, bank holidays, school holidays, family parties and romantic weekends and weeks .... and it’s still going strong 8 years later.
Storage is £25 / month (really) and they tow it out and pitch it for us before we arrive... Redruth, 10 minutes from 3 great beaches, 100 yds from the pub and half a mile from Tesco’s...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You could buy an avocado bathroom suite with the change from the chair, and still have a few quid left for a Brutus shirt and a pair of Lionel Blairs.
I'd be happy with the bathroom suite - Avocado costas a fortune these day. My BIL bought a house in Coulsdon many years back with afull 1970s shoot brown suite and matching tiles and destroyed the lot....vandalism! People pay good money for it now. Our friends are gradually restoring a SPAN house, would have been perfect. Nothing wrong with mid-century design in the right place ;-)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
So is the National Theatre, but that doesn't stop it being a concrete monstrosity.
We were walking past it the other day & commenting how well it had aged, & on Charlie's blindness to proportion & aesthetics (see also Poundland near Dorchester).

Top Bottom