Say you were given £10k to treat yourself, what would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Not sure if they are available on board. But due to number of jurisdictions that needs to be crossed, passport stamped, tickets to be picked up etc, a fair bit of spending money would go towards greasing of the palms at least across 4 countries. But absolutely would be delighted to partake in tea and chit chat on board about the lives we lead with anyone no matter what their backgrounds are.
I used to get massages on Virgin Atlantic but they stopped. Now I have to find my Mile High club membership number....

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Been there with a big wedge of money, i bought houses with it……….and a few bikes

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'd give a grand each to my niece & nephew and the rest would be spent on having the house redecorated, new carpets fitted and a hotel room for myself while the work was being done.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Invest it, and retire 6-12 months earlier :okay:
I could have retired a couple of years ago when I was 60. But I like my job and the company I work for is very easy going. After my bike accident in September 2020 I asked if I could take a drop in hours to 5 hours a day. That is what I have been doing ever since. I start at 5am and finish at 10am. I have so much holiday owing to me that I also have every Friday off until March. It is a really good way to be winding down to retirement. I would think it a bit of a culture shock if I worked 8 hours a day all my life and then suddenly stopped one day. As it is now with my reduced hours, I may continue past my retirement date.

vickster

Legendary Member
I could have retired a couple of years ago when I was 60. But I like my job and the company I work for is very easy going. After my bike accident in September 2020 I asked if I could take a drop in hours to 5 hours a day. That is what I have been doing ever since. I start at 5am and finish at 10am. I have so much holiday owing to me that I also have every Friday off until March. It is a really good way to be winding down to retirement. I would think it a bit of a culture shock if I worked 8 hours a day all my life and then suddenly stopped one day. As it is now with my reduced hours, I may continue past my retirement date.
Cool.
I couldn’t do my job working those hours as everyone else works 9-5ish…and I’m not a morning person anyhow :laugh:
I’ve worked 4 days a week in past, 5 currently. Might go back to 4 in the spring/summer depending on workload…and if I want to take a 20% pay cut!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A nice man cave with different sections.
Bike/Zwift room
Work shop with pillar drill, scroll saw, grinding wheel etc
Small gym area with punch bag and rower.
This is a very good solution!

gbb

Legendary Member
One of two things.
Buy a Lambretta and have it as a toy, something to occupy myself, learn how they work etc etc.
I'd need somewhere to put it though, thats something thats always stalled me.

Or take the whole family on holiday, even if it were 2 weeks down the south coast somewhere, 4 static caravans, let the grandkids have a whale of a time. Fishing, exploring, beach, crabbing etcetera.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'd buy a 1972 Honda CB750K2 - a candy apple gold one - to relive my 20s.
Jeez! I loved that bike.

Decent ones start around £10k+ these days.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Boring... but I'd put the lot in premium bonds

....and withdraw enough to get to the USA for the 2024 total eclipse, then another chunk for the 2026 eclipse (either Iceland or Spain), yet another chunk for the 2027 one (Gibraltar or Tangier), and the rest for the 2028 one down under. :okay:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To go along with the spirit of the question, which is to buy something indulgent, rather than feeding the kids or whatever, so here are my choices

1. Fully equip a machine shop: Bridgeport or ideally Aciera mill, a suitable lathe, pillar drill, maybe universal grinder, maybe foundry set up too. OK I don't have the space, but we'll gloss over that as it's a fantasy purchase. £10k would get me the lot (2nd hand obviously) plus some tooling

Or, option 2:
A classic motorcycle: either Ariel square 4 (might need a top up from my own money, but there or thereabouts) or failing that, a nice Velocette which would be just shy of the £10k. Again same constraint as option 1, as I'd not want such a steed to live on the street l, nor would I want to mend it on the street.

Top Bottom