Say you were given £10k to treat yourself, what would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
...and pair of Transmission line speakers to listen to whilst in my chair. The kit I wanted is no longer available, so these will have to suffice:
https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/wa-tl3-plus-2927-p.asp
Wilmslow Audio, that reminds me of my teenage years back in the early 70s, and the WA adverts among the classifieds in Everyday Electronics.
1639520141198.png

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If I had to burn £10k on one frivilous possession without concern for the consequences, my impulsivity currently favours some form of enjoyable car - maybe a Caterham clone of some description (with a bike engine would be nice, but I suspect with prices as they are I'd be lucky to get one with a shafted old ford pinto :rolleyes:).

Tbh as much as I like nice things, I can't really say as I'm particularly arsed by the thought of spunking a load on big-ticket items..

We visited Raffles for afternoon tea and a Singapore Sling afterwards in the bar at the end of our Bangkok-Singapore journey on the Orient Express and I can’t tell you how underwhelming it was. The afternoon tea was a self-service buffet affair and overpriced. On the plus side, the waiter who showed us to our table was called Elvis.

If I had £10,000 to treat myself with, I’d probably get the dental work I want. I know, so exciting.
Raffles hotel more to take in its rich literary history - Writer’s bar - guests who stayed there - Rudyard Kipling, Joseph Conrad, Noel Coward, Maugham, etc. The Long Bar where the Sling is served also has a rich history prior to the sling with nearly every notable character from around the World in the last 150 years. There is no other hotel in the World that has such a historical nexus and its due to geography.

For the best hotel food including local cuisine - the Grand Hyatt at Scott Road. You will see regional royalty. For those who are looking for the best the World has to offer for nightlife - same hotel, basement entry outside the hotel called Brix / Brannigans. Every self-respecting expat to the Far East would know of it.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was pondering this question in the wee small hours.

I'd really like an IWC Pilots watch, circa 5k but I may save-up for my 60th. But something I've always hankered after is an Eames Chair and Ottoman:
https://www.vitra.com/en-gb/living/product/details/lounge-chair-and-ottoman

...and pair of Transmission line speakers to listen to whilst in my chair. The kit I wanted is no longer available, so these will have to suffice:
https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk/wa-tl3-plus-2927-p.asp

Then all I'd need is time to enjoy then both :-)

What would you treat yourself too? Be selfish!

An ottoman is a blanket box, that chair comes with a footstool.

I wouldn't trust £7k to a firm who doesn't know what their stuff's called.

Also the set is 1970s ugly.

Fat Lars

Many years ago I was made bankrupt and had debt collectors at the door and every time the phone rang I was getting knots in the stomach. So to just have it sitting there in the bank and not needing to use it would be so reassuring and calming. I've saved more than enough cash now to have no such worries so for me it buys peace of mind

Top Bottom