saying really stupid things??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I recall a question from a work collegue of "When is Friday the 13th this month ?" Not a lot could be added really.

One of the funniest ones I've seen in a long time was on a channel 4 programme "Holiday Homes Abroad" or something of that ilk. It was was a footballers (Dafoe I think) girlfriend looking for a million pound pad. They were in a apartment when she said "it's got that funny paint as well" recognising it from previous places they had looked at. To which the presenter said "er, that's marble":biggrin::biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

I used to work on a boat which had a bar on it, where we served hot and cold drinks, alcohol and cans. A frequent question was whether we used salt or fresh water in the hot drinks.

Also at the end of a trip, passengers disembarking at low tide would often declare "oh look it's been raining here", as they saw the pier all wet.

Mrs T, as we were en route to see the last Lord of the Rings installment a few years back, suddenly and vaguely excitedly said "ooh, I wonder what happens to Mollusc".

She also thought the boy raised by wolves in The Jungle Book was Mogwai.

BUT

the woman I sit opposite at work displays her idiocy on an almost daily basis. Some examples:

Which book begins with the words "Call me Ishmael"? .....The Koran
The only Englishman to occupy the papal chair?.......... Prince Charles
What is the currency of Thailand?...........The Yak
Who succeeded Elizabeth I on the throne?..........Elizabeth II - Elizabeth I was the queen mum right?

Mortiroloboy

yenrod said:
Actually Bob you aint wrong or stupid: what you need us 'pushtotalk' - originated in the USA whereby you just get the no. up on your phone and push a button and your instantly connected instead of waiting to be c o n n e c t e d.........;)

I have that facility on my work phone...cheapskates won't pay to have it enabled though, Hmm maybe that's because I have a works radio too!:biggrin:

Pete

bobg said:
I was just sending a text to my daughter and thinking what a pain it is " wouldn't it be good if you could just speak into it" I said, "thats called a phonecall" came the witty rejoinder from Mrs (ever tolerent) BG:blush: Ah well........ Anybody else plumbed those depths of stupidity???
Reminds me of something. Anyone use those 'voice tags' or whatever they're called, to summon up a number on their mobile?

You see, I remember, when I were a lad, there was no dial at all on our phone at home. You just picked up the receiver, waited for the operator to come up "number please?" and then spoke the number to her.

Mind you, you couldn't get away with asking for "Auntie Jean" or "Grandpa" or whoever - at least, not where I lived. In some god-forsaken village, maybe....

barq

I was on a walking holiday in the Pyrenees with my sister. We were planning a walk high in the mountains when she asked the tour guide if he thought the sun would be shining above the clouds. ;)

For my part I have some of the cognitive weaknesses typical of dyslexia (esp. pronunciation) so I'm also prone to reading things very literally. For years I had been calling kitekat 'kite cat' (like the thing you fly on a windy day) rather than 'kitty cat'. Eventually I heard someone else say it properly and the penny dropped. I always thought it was an odd name for cat food.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
Reminds me of something. Anyone use those 'voice tags' or whatever they're called, to summon up a number on their mobile?

You see, I remember, when I were a lad, there was no dial at all on our phone at home. You just picked up the receiver, waited for the operator to come up "number please?" and then spoke the number to her.

Mind you, you couldn't get away with asking for "Auntie Jean" or "Grandpa" or whoever - at least, not where I lived. In some god-forsaken village, maybe....

Yes, or if you needed help it was "Whitehall 1212"...

Not so much daft. but a bit eyerolling, I caught the start of one of those "move to a new life in Australia" programmes yesterday, and this chap, an electrician, was bemoaning how much he had to work and he never saw the children etc, and he ended up with "I mean, there's more to life than money...". Which is very true, but might have been more impactful if he hadn't been washing his Porsche at the time.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
barq said:
For my part I have some of the cognitive weaknesses typical of dyslexia (esp. pronunciation) so I'm also prone to reading things very literally. For years I had been calling kitekat 'kite cat' (like the thing you fly on a windy day) rather than 'kitty cat'. Eventually I heard someone else say it properly and the penny dropped. I always thought it was an odd name for cat food.

Your 'weakness' is very common. My sister used to go swimming at Dovecot Baths, Liverpool which was next to the Cavalry Church (Calgary). She also asked why so many cafes were named 'Rita' as in Cafe Rita. One of my brothers told me that he saw a shoplifter's lorry (shop fitters).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One of my friends is a bit daft ... and I remember her face (as an adult) when she discovered where eggs came out of the chicken .. . and that they didn't come out lovely and clean every time.

She also had a nail sticking out of a floor board and decided to use a mug to bash it in - perfect circular hole in the base.

Jaded

col said:
Im sure we all do this sometimes?But when a fact is spoken to us,for example,"Its pouring down outside" We answer with"Is it?"

When the kids do this I reply "No, I just made it up!"

Pete

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I recall a question from a work collegue of "When is Friday the 13th this month ?" Not a lot could be added really.
Don't confuse genuine ignorance or stupidity, with mere verbal trip-ups. The speaker may well have meant to say "When is Friday 13th this year?"* A valid question, if the questioner is superstitious. And he/she merely substituted "month" for "year" in an accidental slip. I've done that often enough, myself, when speaking. Call me stupid if you must!

*Techie stuff: the 13th of at least one month in any one year, sometimes as many as three, must fall on a Friday. Moreover, counted over a long enough time period, the 13th of the month falls more often on a Friday than on any other day.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
Don't confuse genuine ignorance or stupidity, with mere verbal trip-ups. The speaker may well have meant to say "When is Friday 13th this year?"* A valid question, if the questioner is superstitious. And he/she merely substituted "month" for "year" in an accidental slip. I've done that often enough, myself, when speaking. Call me stupid if you must!

My sister did something like that, hours after little Oli was born. Apparently she'd been told that because she and b-i-l aren't married, she had to go with him to register the birth. She meant to say "Because you aren't my husband...." and actually said "Because you aren't his father..." which led to moment of silence before she realised her mistake...:smile:

I find, when typing, I sometimes type a completely different word to the one I want. Not a typo, or reversed letters, but a completely different mongoose.

Pete

Aren't you glad we now have computers, word processors, the works, Arch! I learnt to type the 'hard' way, on a typowriter tripwriter typewaiter thripfighter tapwater ... B**ger! LotTP - are you there? Pass me some of your tippex please!

longers

Legendary Member
Lord of the Teapot said:
I was talking to a young lady a while back who had never heard of the Beatles and then thought that loose leaf tea came from opening up tea bags. :sad:

Kevin at work was telling us this week how daft his sister is and one of the examples was that when tea bags first appeared she used to cut them up and empty them into the caddy.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok you have just reminded me of when my first child was born, and I was being taken to the ward afterwards, when I saw someone I knew ... and I said: "What are you doing here?" :sad::blush: (I plead just having given birth and 3am in the morning).

Top Bottom