saying really stupid things??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

barq said:
I was on a walking holiday in the Pyrenees with my sister. We were planning a walk high in the mountains when she asked the tour guide if he thought the sun would be shining above the clouds. :sad:

For my part I have some of the cognitive weaknesses typical of dyslexia (esp. pronunciation) so I'm also prone to reading things very literally. For years I had been calling kitekat 'kite cat' (like the thing you fly on a windy day) rather than 'kitty cat'. Eventually I heard someone else say it properly and the penny dropped. I always thought it was an odd name for cat food.
I say 'minestrone', not 'minnie-stronie' :smile:

Pete said:
Don't confuse genuine ignorance or stupidity, with mere verbal trip-ups. The speaker may well have meant to say "When is Friday 13th this year?"* A valid question, if the questioner is superstitious. And he/she merely substituted "month" for "year" in an accidental slip. I've done that often enough, myself, when speaking. Call me stupid if you must!

*Techie stuff: the 13th of at least one month in any one year, sometimes as many as three, must fall on a Friday. Moreover, counted over a long enough time period, the 13th of the month falls more often on a Friday than on any other day.

I doubt that tbh.

Pete

Pete said:
*Techie stuff: the 13th of at least one month in any one year, sometimes as many as three, must fall on a Friday. Moreover, counted over a long enough time period, the 13th of the month falls more often on a Friday than on any other day.
bonj said:
I doubt that tbh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th#Occurrence
The distribution of the 13th day over the 4,800 months is as follows:

Day of the week ......... Number of occurrences
Sunday ..................... 687
Monday ..................... 685
Tuesday .................... 685
Wednesday ................ 687
Thursday ................... 684
Friday ....................... 688
Saturday ................... 684

The figures are accurate. I verified them for myself (using a piece of software) ages ago.

Pete

Offer them to Bonj. I reckon he's counting up on his fingers even as I type. Bonj, if you're reading this, you've got to tot up all the days of the week over four hundred years. Got that? Four hundred years. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Dave5N

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Hey, here's a thought for Pete and Bonj ... It Doesn't Matter.:evil:

spoilsport.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Pete said:
Don't confuse genuine ignorance or stupidity, with mere verbal trip-ups. The speaker may well have meant to say "When is Friday 13th this year?"* A valid question, if the questioner is superstitious. And he/she merely substituted "month" for "year" in an accidental slip. I've done that often enough, myself, when speaking. Call me stupid if you must!

This was from the same person that thought Nelson Mandela worked for a parcel company and that Africa was in South America !! I can assure you it was stupidity :evil:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This is a different kind of stupidity, or is it?

My nephew very recently asked me to sponsor him on the Three Peaks Challenge in the Lake District in early May. (Forty miles in one day) I politely expressed surprise that he was doing this, and asked him how often he does long distance walks. He replied that this would be his first one.

Oh, says I, what is the longest distance you have walked in one day so far?

"Eight miles, last weekend", he said, "in Leicestershire". Apparently he has calculated that because eight miles took him about three hours, he should be able to do forty miles in about eighteen hours. Is he very fit, and participating in other demanding sports? - No. Why does he want to do this? He says that last year, to impress his boss, he agreed to drive the mini-bus for the participants, but got bored with all the hanging around that was entailed. I did not bother to ask him if this year he was going to drive the minibus and do the Challenge. I do not think I should challenge his mathematical skills.:biggrin: Just in case it is relevant he is 39.

Top Bottom