Scalped a car... big time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
The driver nearly squooshed me near Shepherd's Bush by swerving left without looking and although I shouted 'Idiot!', he apologised and we parted amicably.

We took turns overtaking one another. He and the passenger waved every time they saw me and, laughing, challenged me when I'd planted myself in the middle of the lane right in front of them at a crossing. This continued until west Ealing, I had left them behind for a while and they caught up with me at traffic lights. I asked what had taken them so long and, looking shocked to see me again, shouted: 'You again?! How many gears on that thing?'

'24' I said, before flashing a smile and pedalling off, leaving them stuck in traffic.

All the more sweet for it being good-natured. :smile:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
:smile::bravo::girl::biggrin:

I do love those expressions of disbelief when either you catch a car up or they catch you up after traffic. :biggrin:

toekneep

Why do non cyclists always assume that the speed you are able to travel at is governed by the number of gears you have?

Nice story WW

Arch

Married to Night Train
drsquirrel said:
Would have been better with '1' - could help stop the myth that gears = speed.

:rofl:

Or, conjouring up a sweet girlish look of bewilderment: "Gears?"

GrasB

Veteran
drsquirrel said:
Would have been better with '1' - could help stop the myth that gears = speed.

:rofl:
Actually gears = speed when it comes to longer rides. As the longer the ride the more benefit I gain from being able to keep my cadence at around 110-125rpm. This translates into more speed. If I look at my cruising speed on the fixed & geared bikes my fixed cruising speed is starting to drop off at around 35miles however I'm holding my geared cruising speed up till about 45 miles & the drop off isn't as high.

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
GrasB said:
Actually gears = speed when it comes to longer rides. As the longer the ride the more benefit I gain from being able to keep my cadence at around 110-125rpm. This translates into more speed. If I look at my cruising speed on the fixed & geared bikes my fixed cruising speed is starting to drop off at around 35miles however I'm holding my geared cruising speed up till about 45 miles & the drop off isn't as high.

*Conjouring up a sweet girlish look of bewilderment*

Eh?

Top Bottom