Scam alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Three separate phone calls today, supposedly from different phone numbers (Leeds, Bradford and Leicester, according to my phone). All men with Indian Subcontinent accents offering me massive discounts for being a loyal EE Customer, one small problem, I am a Tesco/O2 customer ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Three separate phone calls today, supposedly from different phone numbers (Leeds, Bradford and Leicester, according to my phone). All men with Indian Subcontinent accents offering me massive discounts for being a loyal EE Customer, one small problem, I am a Tesco/O2 customer ;)

String them along, give them the bank details of someone you don't like.

Sharky

Guru
Often get the tv licence one.

Also got one today, telling me I had three voice mail messages and to click on a link to hear them.

Obvious scam, but more obvious than normal as they displayed a date in American format (1/10/24).

Whenever I get an email about needing details. No matter how plausible I ignore the email and go directly to the site mentioned, login and see m of there's anything in my account. The genuine website will have any issues with bookings or whatever in your account profile pages. If not there report the email through your email app.

Another tip, sometimes the company the scammer is trying to represent themselves as might be interested. I once forwarded such an email and copied it. That was what the genuine company asked me to do so their security team can investigate and take action. That company told me that is in their interest to do so. They asked me to do the same if they get any more scam emails faking their business.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I nearly got conned by a Bookingdotcom scam message. It was plausible because it was sent through their own website, with all my details. It was a request for me to verify my booking by re-entering my payment details, with a threat to cancel if I didn't. A search turned up this article describing the scam: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...ustomers-targeted-by-scam-confirmation-emails

I had this issue last year with them as I had bookings for Japan.

I got nowhere with their online ‘support’ so I found their phone number and called them, 30 mins on the phone to London. It was sorted.

Thankfully, nothing strange happened with payments.

Top Bottom