Scandal at York University

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Arch said:
Oh. For a minute I thought you were casting aspersions on my PhD subject, but you mean ID card wise...

Sorry, I'm just imagining some of our department tutors trying to help someone fiddle a Theory in Archaeology exam by miming the content of Trigger's A History of Archaeological Thought (aka the best cure for insomnia, ever.) There were one or two of them never gave much away in lectures, let alone exams....:tongue:

When you hand in the bones that you've apparently dug up for your final disssertation make sure you take the 'made in taiwan' label off.

Heh heh York has clearly been sensitised by the scandal involving it and Durham business school...

The Dean of Durham Business School has recently been suspended in disgrace because it was discovered that his 1986 PhD, awarded by the very same University of York was plagiarised. Someone ran his work through the jisc plagiarism filter. So, York jumped to it and WITHDREW his PhD. All of Durham business school is in meltdown because the Dean has been publicly shown to be bogus. Also York has a bit of an eggy chin because it examined and awarded his PhD. And there are probably a few people around the country who are sweating a bit because they've been ripping off students work as their own for years...this aint gossip - it's been covered in the times higher recently.

Well, if we subject the students to plagiarism tests, we should jolly well be subject to the same scrutiny ourselves...

ChrisKH

Guru
andy_wrx said:
Dunno what all the fuss is about.

If I'd got someone to sit my UofY finals, and they'd got me a better grade than I did, today I'd be an accountant...

instead of.......

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Kirstie said:
The Dean of Durham Business School has recently been suspended in disgrace because it was discovered that his 1986 PhD, awarded by the very same University of York was plagiarised..

You can see the temptation - three year's hard work saved by spending ten minutes photocopying. And as the thesis is only read by four people (three academics and the student's mum) there's sod all chance of getting caught.

Patrick Stevens said:
You can see the temptation - three year's hard work saved by spending ten minutes photocopying. And as the thesis is only read by four people (three academics and the student's mum) there's sod all chance of getting caught.

In the 1980s maybe...but you'd think that the people examining it would have spotted it. They were supposed to be experts.

What a pile of poo!

ChrisKH said:
andy_wrx said:
Dunno what all the fuss is about.

If I'd got someone to sit my UofY finals, and they'd got me a better grade than I did, today I'd be an accountant...

instead of.......

You misread my irony perhaps ?

Would it make more sense as '...I'd have ended-up as an accountant'

Perhaps I'd have enjoyed it, but today it seems a lucky miss that I messed-up my finals and got a lower grade than I expected.

simoncc

I was only vaguely aware that there was a university at York. I'm sure any scandal there will be local. Tadcaster and Malton might get a whiff of it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
simoncc said:
I was only vaguely aware that there was a university at York. I'm sure any scandal there will be local. Tadcaster and Malton might get a whiff of it.

Ooooooooooooh, get you....

We may not be Oxbridge mate, but we've got the largest plastic lined lake in Europe, I'll have you know. And the old classic, a library that had to be shored up when it started to slide down a hill, because the architects designing the foundations failed to take account of the weight of the books...

U

User482

Arch said:
Ooooooooooooh, get you....

We may not be Oxbridge mate, but we've got the largest plastic lined lake in Europe, I'll have you know. And the old classic, a library that had to be shored up when it started to slide down a hill, because the architects designing the foundations failed to take account of the weight of the books...

I'm sure Simon will furnish us with details of his qualifications and alma mater in due course.

Top Bottom