School kids taking the mick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It happens a lot when I'm on the Brompton.

I usually just tell the heckler that if I'm a good lad, I'm getting the rest of the bike for Christmas.

Hee hee. Had a lad on a BMX challenge me at some lights. He shot off but within about 20 feet once I got the fixed gear moving I shot past and he screamed in defeat.

On the trikes, especially with the fairings I get "Is it fast" followed by "Race you"

I tend to slow down an simply say that "I don't race" .... It is not want to try and be riding down a road with a couple of kids all over the place.

byegad

Legendary Member
Some years ago, I was stopped at a junction to turn right. A kid on a BMX pulled alongside and asked why I was riding a funny looking BMX? (It was a Dahon speed-Pro. 20" wheels Sram Dual Drive, folder.)

I told him it was a folding bike and would trounce him in any race. He was up for it and as we pulled out he gave it the welly and pulled ahead, I merely rode at my usual pace and he was laughing his head off. Little did he know I knew the road and that it shortly went down a long gentle hill. As he spun out and I pulled alongside him still gently pedalling. I turned to him and said, 'Oh, yes it also has gears', and still pedalling gently clicked up the gears to leave him behind. The last words I heard were 'Where can I get one?'

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Don't know if it was just a Liverpool thing, used to shout " gerrof and milk it" to any old (over 30!) bloke as they rode past.
I used to shout that. Never knew what it meant.

I've also had numerous interminable arguments with other Merseysiders about whether the act of carrying a passenger was known as a "backy", a "seater", or a "takey".

U

User32269

Yeah never had a clue what it meant either!
Always a "takey" by ours...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I used to shout that. Never knew what it meant.

I've also had numerous interminable arguments with other Merseysiders about whether the act of carrying a passenger was known as a "backy", a "seater", or a "takey".

All wrong, it's a "saddler"

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I once had a gang of the local 14-15 year old gangstas/soljas give me a load of sh1t as I rode my hybrid into South Norwood Country Park; the jeering, patois swearing, running at me with flailing arms kind of stuff. One of the youngest members of the posse, rather disturbingly, fashioned his hand and fingers into a pistol grip and made as if to blow my head off.

However, so eager was the would-be shootist to draw a bead on me that he hadn't noticed that my left leg was off the pedal and was reaching out, almost in the perpendicular. Imagine his surprise as it launched him.

Of course, lots more sweary patois ensued, and a bit of a chase, but I was away down the track in no time, big brave me, hee hee :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't interact with cretins who shout abuse or think they're being clever with their remarks, no matter what age they are. I don't want to be their "mate" or humour them, i just want them to keep their shite thoughts and opinions to themselves.:headshake:

RichardB

Slightly retro
In Yorkshire, 1960s, a ride on someone's saddle while they stood up to pedal was a ... er ... saddle (as in 'Giz a saddle') and a ride on someone's crossbar was a 'croggy'.

Cue the old joke:
Girl: It's very kind of you to give me a croggy home from the pub.
Boy: My pleasure, darlin', and by the way, it's a ladies' bike.

Top Bottom