Schools Out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
And the number of pupils at this school is less than 160! Wow that is a small secondary school.

No we are in one village the schools in Horncastle cover a lot of villages like ours. Is it difficult to understand how rural life works.

Julia9054

Guru
Teachers are not all employed by the same employer
Each employer is required to DBS check it's staff. An ID badge from another employer is not sufficient .
You are assuming enough admin staff can get in to redeploy up to 200 teachers and make sure the school has enough correctly DBS checked staff before allowing the students to set off from home.
What are these random teachers going to be teaching the kids they don't know when no lessons have been planned? How useful would those emergency lessons actually be?
Finally, how many times do schools actually close because of the weather. In my experience, most years it is none.

bruce1530

Guru
Those are pretty much the same points made by my friend - and they’re all very reasonable. But - and I’m sure I’m being completely unreasonable and uncharitable here, because he’s one of the most dedicated teaching professionals that I know - the more strongly he made these arguments, the more I got the impression that he was “looking for obstacles”, and really just wanted no hassle, or even a bonus “snow day”: holiday. As I said, I’m sure it’s not that at all, but that’s the impression that I got!

Teachers are not all employed by the same employer
Each employer is required to DBS check it's staff. An ID badge from another employer is not sufficient .

While that’s undoubtedly the case in some areas, it’s certainly not the case here in Scotland. Virtually all teachers in state schools are employed by local authorities. So any teacher could in theory work in any other school in the county. Where I live, you’d have to commute more than 20 miles to live outside that zone. I can think of parts of the country where that would be 100 miles.

Thinking of my friends who are teachers, in the secondary sector I’d guess about less than 1/3 of them live outwith the county. In the primary school sector, it’s even lower - most seem to work in schools in a neighbouring town; I can’t think of one who needs to cross the county border.

What are these random teachers going to be teaching the kids they don't know when no lessons have been planned? How useful would those emergency lessons actually be?

I’d imagine they’d be using their professionalism and experience to deliver a useful educational experience, using the lesson plans that had been prepared by the regular teacher. In exactly the same way that a “supply teacher” would do if the regular teacher was ill.

Finally, how many times do schools actually close because of the weather. In my experience, most years it is none.

Not sure where in the country you are, but here in Scotland I’d guess a couple of days? And I’m not in a particularly rural area.

screenman

Legendary Member
Come on Bruce a couple of days lost education for the safety of kids and transport companies. As I said before schools are there to educate, not child mind.

Julia9054

Guru
Those are pretty much the same points made by my friend - and they’re all very reasonable. But - and I’m sure I’m being completely unreasonable and uncharitable here, because he’s one of the most dedicated teaching professionals that I know - the more strongly he made these arguments, the more I got the impression that he was “looking for obstacles”, and really just wanted no hassle, or even a bonus “snow day”: holiday. As I said, I’m sure it’s not that at all, but that’s the impression that I got!

While that’s undoubtedly the case in some areas, it’s certainly not the case here in Scotland. Virtually all teachers in state schools are employed by local authorities. So any teacher could in theory work in any other school in the county. Where I live, you’d have to commute more than 20 miles to live outside that zone. I can think of parts of the country where that would be 100 miles.

Thinking of my friends who are teachers, in the secondary sector I’d guess about less than 1/3 of them live outwith the county. In the primary school sector, it’s even lower - most seem to work in schools in a neighbouring town; I can’t think of one who needs to cross the county border.

I’d imagine they’d be using their professionalism and experience to deliver a useful educational experience, using the lesson plans that had been prepared by the regular teacher. In exactly the same way that a “supply teacher” would do if the regular teacher was ill.

Not sure where in the country you are, but here in Scotland I’d guess a couple of days? And I’m not in a particularly rural area.
No, you are completely right. You do know far more about it than me - or your friend.
I'll leave the "I went to school once so i know all about it" and the "it was all so much better in the olden days" brigade to put the world to rights.

bruce1530

Guru
You’ve obviously got an entrenched viewpoint so let’s just agree to disagree. I’m open to persuasion, but I haven’t been persuaded yet.
And please don’t categorise me in the "I went to school once so i know all about it”, or “olden days brigade” categories when you know absolutely nothing about my background.

Top Bottom