Schrader to Presta adapter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
There seems to be a lot of Presta to Schrader but no Schrader to Presta adapters out there.

Neither of my pumps work with Schrader valves for whatever’s reason, but they both work fine with the Presta valve.

Are their any adapters our there that allow a Presta pump to inflate a Schrader inner tube?

Cheers.

classic33

Leg End Member

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This might be rubbish but ...

Could it be because Shrada equipped tyres tend to run at lower pressures so a Shrada designed pump may be unable to reach the required pressures.

Maybe?
If I read the OP correctly he wants to use a presta chucked pump to inflate schrader valved inner tubes so this isn't really relevant. There are apparently thousands of presta valve to schrader pump adapters easily available, but as I and the OP found very few that do it the other way. :okay:
I also use such an adapter on car tyres so I can use my track pump to top them up, which has a Topeak Brass Chuck (presta only) - supplied with such an adapter.
?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjBBFaiN-aILncTnotahjX9_tTvh1PuMkxWv2bB3LkGhPTHub8AKUXJ88IOqLSsuxkSozuSyPf&usqp=CAc.jpg

rrarider

Veteran
This might be rubbish but ...

Could it be because Shrada equipped tyres tend to run at lower pressures so a Shrada designed pump may be unable to reach the required pressures.

Maybe?
It is true that Presta tubes do tend to be run at higher pressure than Schrader tubes but the OP wants to pump up Schrader tubes with a Presta pump.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It is true that Presta tubes do thet to be run at higher pressure than Schrader tubes but the OP wants to pump up Schrader tubes with a Presta pump.
Not always BTW - We have wheelchair tyres that run at 110 psi with schrader valves - Schwalbe Ones and Schwalbe Right Run.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
- here you are ...... http://www.laxzo.com/bicycle-bike-c...resta-adaptor-valve-for-air-pumps-15059-p.asp
I also bought a couple of brass ones from somewhere on ebay, sometime ago, but they are not easy to find.

Thanks!

For clarity...The inner tube is here, and has a Schrader valve.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/not-bike-puncture-repair.233721/

Ajax Bay

Guru
There seems to be a lot of Presta to Schrader but no Schrader to Presta adapters out there.
Neither of my pumps work with Schrader valves for whatever’s reason, but they both work fine with the Presta valve.
Are their any adapters our there that allow a Presta pump to inflate a Schrader inner tube?
I suggested one.
Might do, but the threaded (male, presta end) looks too short to use a push on chuck, maybe an old fashioned screw on pump hose might be OK. Reviews aren't very good, complaining of not sealing.
Have just used mine. When you screw the adapter on, the Schrader valve 'opens' a bit (ie air comes out - so fit the pump to it quickly). The 'Presta' fitting on the pump can be locked on but it's insecure (because as @youngoldbloke says it's "too short") so needs holding on by hand (hence the poor reviews, I guess). Which I did just now and inflated the tyre to 40psi without difficulty. The screw-on hose option will suffer the same issues
To be frank, OP is probably better to just get a simple pump with a Schrader 'end' or one of the very many which has both Presta and Schrader fittings (about 60% of my 10+ pumps (large and small, track and pocket) have a head with both fittings. A 'dual-headed' pump also meets the challenge when one goes out in, say, a family group and the children are on Schrader and parents are on Presta.
On the road my presta headed pump is augmented by a Presta to Schrader adapter in my spares and repairs placcy bag, in case I need to use an airhose or someone's car pump (used once, 700k into an end-to-end, having bought a new tyre from the garage).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suggested one.

Have just used mine. When you screw the adapter on, the Schrader valve 'opens' a bit (ie air comes out - so fit the pump to it quickly). The 'Presta' fitting on the pump can be locked on but it's insecure (because as @youngoldbloke says it's "too short") so needs holding on by hand (hence the poor reviews, I guess). Which I did just now and inflated the tyre to 40psi without difficulty. The screw-on hose option will suffer the same issues
To be frank, OP is probably better to just get a simple pump with a Schrader 'end' or one of the very many which has both Presta and Schrader fittings (about 60% of my 10+ pumps (large and small, track and pocket) have a head with both fittings. A 'dual-headed' pump also meets the challenge when one goes out in, say, a family group and the children are on Schrader and parents are on Presta.
On the road my presta headed pump is augmented by a Presta to Schrader adapter in my spares and repairs placcy bag, in case I need to use an airhose or someone's car pump (used once, 700k into an end-to-end, having bought a new tyre from the garage).

My Presta to Schrader adaptor is installed permanently as a dust cap.

Now that I'm tubeless, if I get a problem I may want to use a garage air line to blast lots of Barney Bear into a tyre.

Seems unlikely, but the adapter's also there if any of my riding chums need it.

Top Bottom