Schwalbe marathon plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I bought two of these today from Evans and while struggling to fit the first one the bead has split away from the tyre .
I,m guessing this isn't supposed to happen and its probably my fault although ive never destroyed a tyre while fitting it .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not supposed to happen. Manufacturing fault I would say. You can't damage a tyre when fitting it.

Sharky

Guru
I had the 25mm Marathon + tyres for a while. Extremely difficult to put on and I wondered what I would do if I punctured when I was out. Took them off for the summer then back on for the winter. After only a few miles, it was bumpty bump. On inspection when I got home, I found the tread part of the tyre splitting from the side walls.

Now on 28mm Continental Contact tyres. No special puncture protection layers, just a nice bit of rubber & air to get over out rough roads down here.

Would never go back to the Marathon + tyres again.

Keith

potsy

Rambler
Weirdly, the last tyres I bought and fitted were M+Tour for the cx bike, they went on really easily, surprised me I can tell you.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I put these on the wifes 29er for comuting..I had no probs at all. But the rims are a deeper rim.
had to use talc with odd tyres but after changing radial 180 section motorcycle tyres at home there all easy I spose.
I'd take that tyre back as its a bad un.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I swapped over to the other one and it went on fine . Well , when I say fine I mean it didn't split apart :blink:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Defo sounds like a manufacturing fault on that one. Love these tyres. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins per tyre really, if you follow that video, and you shouldn't need any special tools - two bits of string are adequate. I ride over allsorts on my commute and haven't had a puncture in 2 months, since installing on my road bike (700*25's) and they're showing no signs of wear after 110 miles per week. Don't go well with mudguards on a defy, mind - no clearance :sad:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive just had another look at it and I can pull one of the stichings out with my fingers . Whats more annoying is I bought them on the other side of London on my way back from work as I didn't think I would be home in time to use my LBS .

I've done this to a marathon+ 16". I hate them, and had resolved not to buy another one, but I needed a new tyre urgently so bought one. I struggled with it for the usual 30 minutes, before separating the bead with my thumbs. I was metres away from the counter I bought it from the whole time, so returned it for an immediate refund, and caught the train home.

Top Bottom