Schwalbe quality control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Duranos aren't my favourite tyre (the blow-off pressure is laughably low, lower than the minimum pressure on better tyres) but they are quite comfortable. I got a new pair last week but the front one has a "kink" in it which is obvious when spinning the wheel or riding. The rim is perfectly true, the tyre is properly seated and the tube isn't trapped under the bead. As it's a folding tyre, they sometimes get a bit bent in the box and this comes out after being inflated for a few hours, but this isn't going away. It can't do much for handling and looks silly.

I think I'm going to have to send it back for a replacement. Is this common with the cheaper Schwalbe tyres? I had the same issue with a pair of Specialized MTB tyres years ago.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can't say I've noticed. I just removed a pair of Schwalbe One's from their boxes they had been in for well over a year that were pretty kinked on taking them out. I fitted them without tubes first just to give them a bit of shape for a few hours, removed and fitted again with tubes and all inflated and sitting properly. Maybe just a bad batch?

Tom B

Guru
I use schwalbe stuff exclusively. I was only pondering a few days ago if their stuff seems to have gone down hill a bit. I've got some land cruisers that are not particularly old that are cracking really badly and some marathons that are cracking and flaking on the sidewalls.

I have had one that failed on the bead (chunk of the rubber missing) but that may be due to mistreatment more than a fault.

That said I don't use folding bead I'm too tight and it's cruel to scrunch a tyre up in a box. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Duranos aren't my favourite tyre (the blow-off pressure is laughably low, lower than the minimum pressure on better tyres) but they are quite comfortable. I got a new pair last week but the front one has a "kink" in it which is obvious when spinning the wheel or riding. The rim is perfectly true, the tyre is properly seated and the tube isn't trapped under the bead. As it's a folding tyre, they sometimes get a bit bent in the box and this comes out after being inflated for a few hours, but this isn't going away. It can't do much for handling and looks silly.

I think I'm going to have to send it back for a replacement. Is this common with the cheaper Schwalbe tyres? I had the same issue with a pair of Specialized MTB tyres years ago.
I had the same with a wired Durano from CRC (one of two ordered). Emailed them with photo, two new ones arrived shortly after :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've had a couple Landcruisers that just would not run straight. There was some kind of bulge in the tyre.
There was a similar topic about schwalbe quality control on the cuk forum some time ago.
Having said that, most tyres I've used were indeed schwalbe and generally they've been fine.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
(the blow-off pressure is laughably low, lower than the minimum pressure on better tyres)
What does this mean?

I ran Schwalbe road cruisers for 3 or 4 sets on my commuter when they came as OEM fitment and proved robust, reliable and reasonably long lived. Stopped using them after receiving a couple of deformed tyres (which were returned) and then experiencing sidewall crazing/cracking very early on in life on the last sets. They all did this to some extent but it was only cosmetic however the early onset and scale of cracking on the later ones led me to doubt the quality of the tyres so I swapped to Vittoria tyres.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Max pressure on Duranos is 115psi (and they mean it - they pop off my rims at about 125psi). Min pressure on a Vredestein Fortezza TriComp is 8 bar, which is 118psi. A TriComp will go up to 185psi.

Why might I want higher pressures than 115psi, you ask? I've had snakebite punctures even at 150psi. There are some bad roads around here.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was about to suggest that whenever I have had a bad fitment on the rim that I just inflate to 120psi and hear it pop into place and then deflate and reinflate to normal pressures, but it looks like you have this covered. I have never had a tyre that I could not get fitted properly, I guess I am lucky.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Max pressure on Duranos is 115psi (and they mean it - they pop off my rims at about 125psi). Min pressure on a Vredestein Fortezza TriComp is 8 bar, which is 118psi. A TriComp will go up to 185psi.

Why might I want higher pressures than 115psi, you ask? I've had snakebite punctures even at 150psi. There are some bad roads around here.

115 PSI - have you any teeth ? 150 PSI - really...:eek:. I ran mine at around 100 PSI with fully loaded panniers - just avoid the pot holes. My main reason for Durano's was the amount of glass on the Fallowfield Loop, didn't half make a mess of the tyre, but no punctures. Other tyres were shredded.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used a lot more for the Dunwich Dynamo. I don't remember a rough ride except for that lane between the "Dunwich 7" sign and the A12. That was like the surface of the moon.

Will Spin

Über Member

I'd be very wary about inflating tyres to such a high pressure, a lot of rims have much lower pressure rating, as I found out once!

Never had this problem with Durano 28c's, good tyre imo.

Top Bottom