Schwalbe Supreme v Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is the Marathon Supreme supposed to be equal to or better than the Marathon Plus in terms of puncture-resistance?

Having used the latter for over 25,000 miles without a puncture, I am rather disappointed to have had three punctures in 1200 miles on the former. These have all been on the rear, which is a pain as the bike has Alfine 8 hub gearing.

GC

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon-plus.html says M+ is level 6 protection, "Performance Line" and above the table, it gets 6 blobs out of 6 for protection and says it is "Smart Guard".

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon-supreme.html does not give a level. It says it is "Evolution Line" and the blobs above the table rate the "HD Speed Guard" version protection as 4½ out of 6 and the "Microskin TL-Easy" version as 5/6.

So it looks to me like they're different tyres from a different family with different protection levels. Schwalbe are terrible for this, almost as bad as Vittoria.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm using Active Line 3/6 tyres on debris-strewn surfaces with few punctures... but the Shimano hub gear bike has a 6/6 tyre on because it's a hell of a lot fiddlier to remove than an SA3.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Supremes will be significantly less puncture resistant than Pluses, but they are still very good tyres and much more comfortable with lower rolling resistance.

potsy

Rambler
Certainly nowhere near as tough as M+ but I have punctured very rarely with the Supremes.
Much lighter and more cushioned ride too, with better grip.

If I were you I'd stick to M+ though on a hub geared bike.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks everyone; looks like I'll be buying a Marathon Plus to chuck on the back.

I thought I maybe had a duff quality tyre so I swapped front and back around yesterday to see if the punctures follow the tyre. If they do, at least it'll be less hassle.

GC

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
May I recommend Marathon Originals instead of the Plus? :smile:
Much better ride, same puncture protection ime, and I ride canals, glass strewn paths, Sustrains ... erm ... "cycle routes" a lot.
Cheaper too.
I'd agree with that. The time Plus comes into its own is if you are prone to sidewall punctures (riding through gravel that hides Norfolk flints is a local reason). http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon.html rates the current GreenGuard as 5/6 which may be better than the Supremes.

Kip67

Thanks for this post. I use M+ on my commuter and never had a puncture in 5000 miles. But I am looking to change, probably too Supremes purely cos I think the Pluses are dangerous. My bikes skidded out on me so many times I've lost all confidence in them. So can I ask what you think of the level of grip offered over the Marathon Pluses.

Blurb

Über Member
12000 miles on pluses on the commuter with only one freak deflation from an allen key. Mine are 700x35c and I run them at 75psi (rider and bike around 90kgs) and haven't had any serious issues with slippiness. Weigh a ton and aren't ever going to win awards for feel and ultimate grip, but I wouldn't use anything else on the commute. Make sure you're not overinflating for your weight. I dropped the pressures from 80 to 75psi and ride and grip improved noticeably.

I also have standard Marathons on the "shopping" bike. 26" 1.75 and only one deflation, caused by a 1 inch screw, in several thousand miles. Difficult to say how they compare with the M+ due to the different sizes, but they seem to be a good compromise between ultimate deflation protection/weight/feel.

I also have 32c Supremes on the Tricross which I run at 85-90psi, but that doesn't get out much in bad weather. They are very comfortable and seem to be grippy enough on tarmac and "feel" so much nicer than the M+. 1500 miles without a deflation. I would say their deflation protection is nowhere near that of the M or M+

If rolling resistance is your thing the Marathons are tested here in various sizes - http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Kip67

12000 miles on pluses on the commuter with only one freak deflation from an allen key. Mine are 700x35c and I run them at 75psi (rider and bike around 90kgs) and haven't had any serious issues with slippiness. Weigh a ton and aren't ever going to win awards for feel and ultimate grip, but I wouldn't use anything else on the commute. Make sure you're not overinflating for your weight. I dropped the pressures from 80 to 75psi and ride and grip improved noticeably.

I also have standard Marathons on the "shopping" bike. 26" 1.75 and only one deflation, caused by a 1 inch screw, in several thousand miles. Difficult to say how they compare with the M+ due to the different sizes, but they seem to be a good compromise between ultimate deflation protection/weight/feel.

I also have 32c Supremes on the Tricross which I run at 85-90psi, but that doesn't get out much in bad weather. They are very comfortable and seem to be grippy enough on tarmac and "feel" so much nicer than the M+. 1500 miles without a deflation. I would say their deflation protection is nowhere near that of the M or M+

If rolling resistance is your thing the Marathons are tested here in various sizes - http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Thank you very much for this reply. My Marathon Pluses are 700 x 35 and I've tried them at different pressures but still don't feel comfortable . I actually love the tyres they have been so I reliable. Basically looking for something grippier and the Supremes seen to fit the bill albeit with the trade off in loss of puncture protection.

I'm 75kg and ride mainly on roads and cycle paths. My bikes a cx and I use it for all my rides. Curiously I was also thinking of dropping down to 32c as well if I get the Supremes. Not sure if if be better just sticking with my current size.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts .

Chris

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

That's a great website!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Have to say having switched to M+ on the Brompton I have notice it's become very skittish in the wet especially on uneven surfaces.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've recently switched from Supremes to Marathon Pluses on my Rose trekking ebike.

The Supremes did quite well, but are very light and flimsy compared to the Pluses.

Grip from the Supremes on cinder tracks and in light mud was not brilliant, to be expected as they are semi-slick.

The Pluses have a bit more tread, and do grip a bit better in those conditions.

Ride comfort seems about the same to me, possibly because the tread is new.

Top Bottom