Science deniers. WTF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Learning the wrong things had been illegal at times in most European countries. We burnt people for less in the UK. The Pendle and other witches were probably just people who learnt herbal remedies for health problems and got hung or burnt for it. Mostly women too...hmm! What was that about?

I don't think it was even that logical.

more like; some random person had a stroke/seizure/heart attack in the vicinity of another random person, and an onlooker claimed it was a curse what done it... or a cow's milk tasted off one day, so blame it on some old crone they didn't like. It was just misogyny, for the most part (IMO).

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't seen a Bakewell tart in years, or anything with custard. Come to think of it I havenn't seen apple pie, scones or my particular favourite, malt loaf, either...

I'm really going to gain weight in the UK aren't I?

*Or ironically, Battemberg cake.
Just think of the import duties you'll be paying when they find them in your luggage on your way home. Provided they don't arrest you.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think it was even that logical.

more like; some random person had a stroke/seizure/heart attack in the vicinity of another random person, and an onlooker claimed it was a curse what done it... or a cow's milk tasted off one day, so blame it on some old crone they didn't like. It was just misogyny, for the most part (IMO).
At least two were the victims of money being owed to them, or simply wanting to have what someone else had.

Jameshow

Veteran
Learning the wrong things had been illegal at times in most European countries. We burnt people for less in the UK. The Pendle and other witches were probably just people who learnt herbal remedies for health problems and got hung or burnt for it. Mostly women too...hmm! What was that about?

They were nasty, really nasty they gave us the tour of Pendle! No sportive ever comes close not even the Fred witton! Nor the 3 peaks!!🤣🤣🤣

Gillstay

Über Member
Someone more gifted than me said `When people stop believing in religion they will believe in anything.'

Nationalism is almost as daft as many conspiracy theories and look how many have and do support that.

It was just misogyny, for the most part (IMO).

In some case this was so, in others, more men were accused than women. It depended where you were and what people associated with "Witchcraft".

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In some case this was so, in others, more men were accused than women. It depended where you were and what people associated with "Witchcraft".

Aye, up here it's all about the Pendle Witch Trials. However much more recently a local couple set up a charity to raise money to build a school house in Africa, which they did... only to find that a great many children in that area were being accused of witchcraft and were dealt with quite horribly. Shocking in this day and age. :sad:

When it comes to science denial... I'd prefer they just believe in flat earth, fake moon landings and the Glastonbury conspiracy.

Aye, up here it's all about the Pendle Witch Trials. However much more recently a local couple set up a charity to raise money to build a school house in Africa, which they did... only to find that a great many children in that area were being accused of witchcraft and were dealt with quite horribly. Shocking in this day and age. :sad:

When it comes to science denial... I'd prefer they just believe in flat earth, fake moon landings and the Glastonbury conspiracy.

Sadly this is on the rise; I recently saw a film of a meeting, apparently in a university in South Africa, where a delegate was claiming that chemistry and physics were "White science" and that the university should allow for "African Science".

The example they gave was a tribal belief that a Shaman could call down lightning on specific people. The speaker claimed this should be given equal weight to "Western science" as "African Science".

When someone pointed out this isn't true, they were berated for being intolerant and colonial, and told they should apologise or leave the room.

DogmaStu

Sadly this is on the rise; I recently saw a film of a meeting, apparently in a university in South Africa, where a delegate was claiming that chemistry and physics were "White science" and that the university should allow for "African Science".

The example they gave was a tribal belief that a Shaman could call down lightning on specific people. The speaker claimed this should be given equal weight to "Western science" as "African Science".

When someone pointed out this isn't true, they were berated for being intolerant and colonial, and told they should apologise or leave the room.

As someone who grew up in SA for 24 years, I remember this.

Sadly, not uncommon either for many and Affirmative Action has seen many unqualified, ill-educated folks rise to positions of influence and power where they spout utter nonsense.

Top Bottom