Science deniers. WTF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Oh... so you believe in a moon?

^_^

I train people in the basics of climate science through a carbon literacy course. When presented with facts and data in the right way, most peple accept them and "get it". However I've seen the same presentation given in a hesitant way by one trainer and an arrogant, dismissive way by another and people push back against it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Isn't there a clock at the science medium that uses this principle. I may be remembering it wrong and it might just be a demonstration of the principle. I recall it being Hung down the side of a set of stairs, about 20mt long.

It was still there at the science museum a couple of weeks ago.

Although.... A Foucault pendulum could still work on a flat earth, if the rotation of the disc was appropriate. :evil:

Reactions: C R
I read an article about how a number of high schools /academies run by religiousgroup in the UK were falling because they were following a religious organisation's creationist syllabus. It's also used in home schooling books by the same religious group. This was developed in the 1970s in Texas apparently.

The centre of the science curriculum was that creation was real and evolution was proven to be wrong. In fact all science curriculum was based on the bible being literal truth. If you find that article it will shock you!

Anyway, the reporters interviewed a couple of very intelligent former pupils of these schools and home schooling courses. They all came out and into university having to do extra years to unlearn what they'd been taught in order to get onto a university course. They learnt that their school qualifications weren't recognised by universities and more significant was that their whole science education at school was just outright lies!

Seriously wish I knew where that article was now, about a week or two ago it appeared in my MS news page. Guardian, independent or telegraph I think.

Some time ago I was a teacher and lived in Bangor in North Wales although I taught in a different town down the coast
There was a Christian school near me that was run by a fundamentalist group

One day I met the Biology teacher from the Christian school at an "event" of some kind
I knew their ICT teacher as I had trained with him and knew he believed in the literal word of the bible regarding everything - including creation v. evolution
but still did normal exams such as GCSEs

I was wondering how they managed to teacher Biology - as they had to - and still give the pupils a chance to get a biology GCSE which would include questions about evolution

His answer was quite simple - he was not in any way a member of their Christian sect/cult - most of the teacher were but a couple were not

he taught Biology as per Science
Creation had no place in his lessons

apparently he got a lot of flack for it and had meetings every year with the Head about including Creation in his course but he always politely refused and religiously (sorry) stuck to the Nation curriculum and the GCSE sylabus

He did say that he met other teachers at "conferences" of Science teachers from similar school - where things were different and creation was front and centre in Biology classes - he was not impressed!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I sometimes wonder whether the flat-earthers are the world's greatest fibbers and straight-face-keepers! Maybe they are just competing with each other to come up with the most extreme nonsense to explain how a flat earth would work, and not cracking up while doing so... :whistle:

Now that WOULD be pretty funny, I must admit!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The best bit of Science Denier stuff is the theory that the Americans never landed on the Moon

All the photos and videos were taken in a studio and directed by Kubrick (I think)

Basically they decided to go to the Moon and land Men there but when the Scientists tried to work out how to do it they found it was quite difficult

so they calle din Kubrick who looked it all over and worked out how to do it
He was clearly the best person do do it because of his well known and fanatical attention detail perfection

so that is what they did

only thing is his attention to detail was so excessive that he insisted it was all filmed on location!

I actually saw that written as an answer on a conspiracy theory thread (better written than my version)
They reply to the entry was basically "there - told you so - they didn't go there they filmed it on location!!!!"

there are some hilarious entries from people trolling these Science denier's theories!

You know the old gag about this.

Kubrick, ever the perfectionist, agreed to fake the moon landings on one condition: they shoot on location for realism..... :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
You know the old gag about this.

Kubrick, ever the perfectionist, agreed to fake the moon landings on one condition: they shoot on location for realism..... :laugh:
Ever wondered why and how NASA just happened to have a piece in storage that allowed the Apollo–Soyuz mission, that fitted the Russian craft?

Why didn't the Russians want a joint mission to the moon. Something Kennedy wanted, and tried to get them to do.

classic33

Leg End Member
Science deniers are, to me, those kids who bunked off science class a long time ago....

As a geologist, I find some folk can't grasp the concept of time scales in billions of years and so 6000 years for the creation of the world by a mythical deity is much easier to grasp (and lazy too).

God is what I like to call 'passing the buck idea'. People can't grasp that the universe has taken billions of years to evolve into what it is today, with blobs of DNA called humans who are made of the same atoms as in starts....pondering the stars. We are the universe studying itself :okay: . But some people need parental God figure as its all a bit to far beyond what they can safely understand. But...if the universe was created by a god, where did the god come from?. The religious don't seem to like that observation for some reason...

Daftest science denier stuff must be those who think CV19 is spread by 5G....really??. How can a microbe ride a pulse of electromagnetic radiation traveling at close to the speed of light?. On a more serious note, our staff have security warnings when we work on mast sites due to idiotic protestors.
An alternate universe?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Thread closed until we get time to strip out the embryonic OT religious debate.

Edit: statements of religious belief, quotes thereof etc have been edited out or deleted.

I have left in references to creationism where it doesn't contradict the above.

Please keep religious belief statements (either way) out of this interesting thread - they always end up causing complaints and/or offence.

Thanks in advance.

Thread reopened.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
FybVto1XgAAvsaB?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Ever wondered why and how NASA just happened to have a piece in storage that allowed the Apollo–Soyuz mission, that fitted the Russian craft?

Why didn't the Russians want a joint mission to the moon. Something Kennedy wanted, and tried to get them to do.

It was the time of the cold war, USA and Russia were effectively at war with each other, and supporting different sides in a lot of the wars that were going on at the time. Its one of the things that worked against faking the landings, once the rocket had launched everybody who could track a rocket was tracking it, the Russians were looking at it for anything that was not right that they could use against the Americans.

classic33

Leg End Member
It was the time of the cold war, USA and Russia were effectively at war with each other, and supporting different sides in a lot of the wars that were going on at the time. Its one of the things that worked against faking the landings, once the rocket had launched everybody who could track a rocket was tracking it, the Russians were looking at it for anything that was not right that they could use against the Americans.
Height of the Cold War, and Kennedy proposed a joint mission. Later, in 1975 the piece required to allow the two countries to meet in space, just happened to be found laying around in NASA's stores.

D

Deleted member 1258

Height of the Cold War, and Kennedy proposed a joint mission. Later, in 1975 the piece required to allow the two countries to meet in space, just happened to be found laying around in NASA's stores.

It would have been interesting if he hadn't been assassinated how far he could have ran with the idea.

Mod note:

Thread closed until we get time to strip out the embryonic OT religious debate.

Edit: statements of religious belief, quotes thereof etc have been edited out or deleted.

I have left in references to creationism where it doesn't contradict the above.

Please keep religious belief statements (either way) out of this interesting thread - they always end up causing complaints and/or offence.

Thanks in advance.

Thread reopened.

Although one can't deny that science and religion didn't quite see eye-to-eye, particularly during the Renaissance when many new scientific discoveries were being made, especially in the field of astronomy - the Roman Inquisition and the Catholic Church deemed Copernican heliocentrism absurd, foolish and heretical because it contradicted the holy scriptures.

Galileo spent the last years of his life under house arrest because Pope Urban VIII and the Jesuits were mightily offended by his views on science and astronomy, forced to recant his life's work.

"And yet, it moves," Galileo was reputed to have said.

FWIW, Copernicus was a priest himself, but was well educated before then. Actually, Torun, where he's from is known for piernik, kopernik and bratwa i.e. gingerbread, copernicus and a book by the title bratwa. I can attest to the fact that pierniki torunskie are very tasty :hungry:

Top Bottom