Scone or Scone?

How do you pronounce "scone"?

• Sk-onn?

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sc-oh-ne?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
It's scone like cone, but i somehow managed to vote for the other option.
Mrs UD, who is from a village near Wolverhamptom where they know a thing or two about strange pronunciations says scon though so could be either. But then she says "loose" instead of "let", as in "loose go of it", so i think i'll ignore her.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Mark_Robson said:
Anyone south of the Tees is a cockney.....aren't they? :wacko: :tongue:

I usede to live in Sunderland and that's north of the Tees as far as I know.

As for English pronuciation what about GHOTI pronounce FISH
GH as in couGH
O as in wOmen
TI as in staTIon

And ONE day everyone will pronounce them as SKONNS.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
ventoux50 said:
so what do you call the long hard white things under your skin that stop you being a jelly ?

oh yes B o n e s

bones = scones

I rest my case.

never seen a skeleton made of 'bonns' have you ?

On that tack, how would you pronounce bath? - cos they're ain't no 'r' in it. :tongue:

ventoux50

Vidor06 said:
What about vase. There are 3 different pronunciations of it. Vaz, vaze and vause.

What a crazy language we have.

And by the way its scon

Agreed - try teaching a 4 year old to read - especially now they're taught phonetically.

when alls said and done, I was taught right - it's Scowne
no doubt about it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Vidor06 said:
What about vase. There are 3 different pronunciations of it. Vaz, vaze and vause.

What a crazy language we have.

And by the way its scon

I say Vars for a vase, lol

And Scon, because in a few seconds, it will be gone!

mark barker

Its got to be S-cone.

I'm always surprised at how well foreign folks grasp the English language, it must be the most screwed up language of all!

And... WTF was going on when picking the name Sean Bean? Thats got to have been a drunken decision!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
guitarpete247 said:
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from the River cottage pronounced it SKONN the other night. So did the other cooks on the show. That's how we say it up north. It's only the southern softies who have SCOWNES. They also have coal delivered in SEX and have a man in to cut the GRARSE. And why do they also insist in having BA-AH on the SCOWNES:biggrin:.

I can assure you that in Manchester it rhymes with "own". I'm actually amazed that a poncey TV cook can get it right. Maybe there's hope for the south after all.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the reason some people pronounce skonn as scoan is socio-economic: post ww II was the start of the rise of the middle classes from those previously considered working class.

the pronunciation of scoan came about as an affectation used by some of those who had 'moved up' and were keen to distance themselves from their working class upbringing (the use of scoan, ironically, gives the game away of course); think annie walker (coronation street) or hyacinth bucket (keeping up appearances) as stereotypical examples.

today the use of skonn/scoan does not delimit class in the same way, but does hint at where their family have come from, so to speak.

oh, and it's skonn…

BigSteev

The pronunciation doesn't bother me....what is wrong is that they were cheese scones. That's just plainly wrong.

Top Bottom