Scone or Scone?

How do you pronounce "scone"?

• Sk-onn?

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sc-oh-ne?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Landslide said:
marge.png

Not that one - she's a fine lookin' gal! :rolleyes:

Google 'scon' - images - and it's
scon.jpg

Google 'scone' - images - and it's
scone_narrowweb__300x458,0.jpg

The scon amplifier is for a jam session - as is the scone I suppose :rolleyes:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Aperitif said:
Google 'scone' - images - and it's
scone_narrowweb__300x458,0.jpg

Never mind all that. It hardly matters what you call them if you're going to be so tight-fisted with the cream. There must be about four times as much cream as jam, and it must be clotted cream. Once all that is understood, we can confirm that it definitely rhymes with "gone".

I thought one just added a squirt of cream - from those aerosol things with a serrated nozzle - for the perfect finishing touch...

Abundant culotted cream eh? No short measures or skirting around the issues there!

scOn_e it is then.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
alecstilleyedye said:
the reason some people pronounce skonn as scoan is socio-economic: post ww II was the start of the rise of the middle classes from those previously considered working class.

the pronunciation of scoan came about as an affectation used by some of those who had 'moved up' and were keen to distance themselves from their working class upbringing (the use of scoan, ironically, gives the game away of course); think annie walker (coronation street) or hyacinth bucket (keeping up appearances) as stereotypical examples.

today the use of skonn/scoan does not delimit class in the same way, but does hint at where their family have come from, so to speak.

oh, and it's skonn…

If we had somebody here who was up on Anglo-Saxon phonology we would know what the original pronunciation was like (that "e" is on the end for a reason) and so it would be settled once and for all. OTH it is probably one of those things that nobody actually wants to have settled once and for all.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
The dictionary says it's a Scots word pronounced skon, while in England often skōn, perhaps from the Dutch schoonbrood, meaning fine white bread.

So pronounce it how you like, but if you come round my place and ask for a sc-oh-n you'll get a conical wafer with a lettuce leaf around it.

Sam

U

User169

Ravenbait said:
The dictionary says it's a Scots word pronounced skon, while in England often skōn, perhaps from the Dutch schoonbrood, meaning fine white bread.

In Dutch, "schoon" sounds more like sc-oh-n than skon.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The trick would be to find out how they would pronounce it is S Denmark (which is roughly the area from which the English originated). My money would be on something closer to scohn and further from sconn.

Top Bottom