Scone or Scone?

How do you pronounce "scone"?

• Sk-onn?

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sc-oh-ne?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
theclaud said:
It's controversial, and I rarely advise anyone against consuming butter, but as long as you have clotted cream the butter is superfluous, and even distracting - it interferes with the buttery clots on the cream.

Well said. Butter or clotted cream, but I'd not go with both myself.

theclaud said:
But I agree about jam first.

Now, here's the thing. I see no reason why jam-then-cream wouldn't be perfectly good. After all, butter-then-jam is the accepted order of things. But I always, always go cream-then-jam. And it's got to be the right sort of jam. Strawberry is good, especially if it's one of the ones with little wild strawbs in, like the Bonne Mamam ones, or the Tiptree one whose name I've forgotten, that's all teeny weeny strawbs. Bramble jelly I'm keen on, or blackcurrant at a pinch. Apricot jam would be odd, and raspberry is the very height of wrongness, in a scone-related scenario.
IMHO, of course.

Oh, and skon. Scowne sounds pretentious and affected, not to mention plain silly.
Again, IMHO, but in this case I am correct.:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
theclaud said:
It's controversial, and I rarely advise anyone against consuming butter, but as long as you have clotted cream the butter is superfluous, and even distracting - it interferes with the buttery clots on the cream. But I agree about jam first.

I think we are as one on this. In fact I would go further and say that butter spoils a good jam and clotted cream scoan.

And isn't physically impossible to do cream then jam? (Assuming you want to keep both ingredients on skoawne.)

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Well said. Butter or clotted cream, but I'd not go with both myself.

Wimp;)

Apricot jam would be odd, and raspberry is the very height of wrongness, in a scone-related scenario.

Funny, I'd say the opposite, in fact I see nothing wrong with raspberry....

My Mum's coming up on Sunday, I feel a cream tea coming on...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Andy in Sig said:
I think we are as one on this. In fact I would go further and say that butter spoils a good jam and clotted cream scoan.

And isn't physically impossible to do cream then jam? (Assuming you want to keep both ingredients on skoawne.)

It's perfectly do-able, but the jam does tend to get dropped off the spoon in a big blob, rather than get spread out with a knife. If only I had some clotted cream handy I'd post a photo.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I see what you mean but that must impose a limiting factor on the amount of jam i.e. you can manage a fairly thick layer of jam onto the skowne itself and then an inch of cream on top but you are probably restricted in the amount of jam you can plonk onto/into the cream. No doubt FM will be along in a bit to point out the definitive research paper on the subject.

OP
OP
Landslide

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Keith Oates said:
There is only one cream that can be used for the ultimate taste and pleasure and that is "Cornish Clotted Cream" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A life rule that could be applied to a number of situations...

U

User482

My earlier comment about the order of clotted cream and jam was intended to provoke a spat between our Devonian and Cornish members. They seem to be somewhat forthright on the issue.

Regarding jam - it has to be homemade strawberry. Accept no substitute.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
User482 said:
I can assure you, if you tried anything I tried to make at home, you would be accepting a substitute with alacrity!

I cannot create food, just warm it up!

longers

Legendary Member
User482 said:

Sounds good but have you tried it with blackcurrant jam so you can be absolutely sure of the superiority of the strawberry?

U

User482

longers said:
Sounds good but have you tried it with blackcurrant jam so you can be absolutely sure of the superiority of the strawberry?

I've got a kilo of blackcurrants in the freezer - I could them into jam once I've eaten the strawberry. But I think that blackcurrants would be better in icecream.

I welcome wise counsel on this important decision...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Andy in Sig said:

Jolly good. Like User482 says, it's Devon/Cornwall thing. The Cornish way is best*. But as for keeping both ingredients on the skonn, if you don't have considerable difficulty getting your face around the thing without getting a lapful of the stuff, it's a fair indication that you haven't used enough clotted cream...

*Cornish Clotted Cream is a protected designation - you've got to go with the folk who take these things seriously.

Top Bottom