Scone or Scone?

How do you pronounce "scone"?

• Sk-onn?

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sc-oh-ne?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
As I tuck into my delicious breakfast of cheese scones, I am suddenly gripped by a terrible fear!
:thumbsup:

Whilst I'm perfectly secure in my pronunciation of it, how do the denizens of Cycle Chat pronounce the word "scone"?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Definitely 'scone'.

U

User482

It's a five-letter word with an "e" on the end. So it's prounounced like "drone" rather than "gone".

There is a third option - isn't there a town in Scotland called Scone? I think it's pronounced "skoon".

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from the River cottage pronounced it SKONN the other night. So did the other cooks on the show. That's how we say it up north. It's only the southern softies who have SCOWNES. They also have coal delivered in SEX and have a man in to cut the GRARSE. And why do they also insist in having BA-AH on the SCOWNES:biggrin:.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
guitarpete247 said:
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from the River cottage pronounced it SKONN the other night. So did the other cooks on the show. That's how we say it up north. It's only the southern softies who have SCOWNES...

Leicester!! - oop north??

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Isn't it wonderful the English has no hard and fast rules for pronunciation...

Speaking of which, how do you pronounce pronunciation? With 'nun' or 'noun' in the middle?

ramses

sc-oh-ne Most Definitely

ventoux50

so what do you call the long hard white things under your skin that stop you being a jelly ?

oh yes B o n e s

bones = scones

I rest my case.

never seen a skeleton made of 'bonns' have you ?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
ventoux50 said:
so what do you call the long hard white things under your skin that stop you being a jelly ?

oh yes B o n e s

bones = scones

I rest my case.

never seen a skeleton made of 'bonns' have you ?

You're completely missing the point.

There are countless other words in the English language that should be pronnounced in a certain way, but just aren't.

Scone (skon) is one such word :tongue:

Top Bottom