Scotch bonnet chili

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am hooked on chili and would probably put it on my cornflakes if l ate cornflakes (which l do not). So as a matter of interest does anyone grow/eat the awesome Scotch bonnet fire ball ? If so have you got any favourite ways of using the little devils :evil:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Curried goat. Or use mutton if you can't source goat meat. Recipe here.

I am also a regular user of proper Jamaican jerk seasoning like this (Dunn's River brand is good too, and sold in Sainsbury's at the world food section), to make jerk chicken or pork. Plenty of scotch bonnet chilli in that!

Dolorous Edd

I've never really understood - if I put one really hot chilli in one curry, and two chillis half as hot each in a second curry, do both curries end up equally hot?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should come and live here. Ghanaians won’t eat anything without ’pepper’.
My favourite at the mo is Tikka Masala sauce from a local Spa which is rather too mild and add a whole bonnet chilli to liven it up.

1633682788748.jpeg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might try this, Waakye. Ghanaians like to eat this for breakfast, not too hot but you can add more chilli if you like.

View: https://youtu.be/pIuAG2eUlTM

You don’t need to add the meat but the kelewele is nice, over ripe fried plantain.

Gari is dried granulated cassava, looks like sawdust but is very nice with the above but not a necessity.

Vegetarian of course if you choose not to add the meat.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
An old school mate of mine, along with his wife, now have a business in Thailand. Dewi's Hot Sauce.
They farm their own scotch bonnet chillis and make a range of sauces with them.
It has gone full time since covid put a premature end to his career as a pilot. He must be about retirement age for a pilot by now anyway.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've grown chillies for a few years and Scotch bonnets or Habanero were the reliable and trusted staple. Mostly it was dried out and blended up into powder that I could share out or use when needed. We've made hot sauces. Although the last one was more a concentrate that blew my face off.

I've grown quite a few varieties from Cayenne up to the super hots. But they tend to be unusable.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm going to have a go at growing Scotch Bonnets from seed, next year.
I usually grow some very small chillis, about the size of a large peanut, which are extremely potent - don't know the name of them, though.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Put a whole scotch bonnet (don't slice it, leave it completely whole) in your rice and peas before you simmer them and you get that nice, authentic West Indian background essence of chilli pepper in the finished dish. It doesn't make the dish spicy hot, it just adds a nice piquant (but subtle) chilli flavour to the rice.

Partner it with @Brandane 's suggestion of Jerk chicken, and serve some hot pepper sauce on the side.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm going to have a go at growing Scotch Bonnets from seed, next year.

You'll have to start them off under lights in early January if you want a decent crop. A cheap LED panel or fluorescent tube will suffice. You might only get a small pod or two if started late and using natural light.

Top Bottom