Scotch bonnet chili

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
You should come and live here. Ghanaians won’t eat anything without ’pepper’.
My favourite at the mo is Tikka Masala sauce from a local Spa which is rather too mild and add a whole bonnet chilli to liven it up.

View attachment 612551
Ive been thinking about what you said about going to live in Africa and a shocking realisation has happened...l have never set foot on any part of Africa. My adult life has been spent in Asia and now France where l am very happy to be . However l might redress the imbalance so where would you suggest l begin , north central or south Africa ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The northern part of Africa is by all accounts rather lawless and not a safe place to be, apart from Egypt but that more middle East. South Africa is quite pleasant but parts are unsafe too.
The west and east might be a better bet. Certainly it's quite safe here and the surrounding countries don't have any issues.
A lot of Americans are coming here to live which makes sense I guess. There's a quite a large Lebanese community here, many having lived here all their lives. A lot lost everything in the coup by Rawlings.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I picked some spaghetti and rooster claw this afternoon for drying

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Cycleops ... I used to work in a local care home where a husband and wife team from your neighbouring Ivory Coast/Côte d'Ivoire were also employed. Husband in kitchen, wife a carer.
I happened to mention to Nina, the carer, that I liked spicy food, adding a bit of bravado by saying I had spent my youth in Jamaica and was used to it. Should have kept my mouth shut! She brought in some sort of spicy meat for me to have one lunch time, I think it might have been chicken, but hard to tell when all I could taste was my mouth burning away.
She made her own hot sauce which I tasted, and again it was blow your head off stuff. She used to put it in everything she ate!
In my merchant navy days, one of the ships I sailed on had an Indian crew. I remember learning another hard lesson then by insisting on trying a genuine Indian curry like the ones they eat themselves! The spice level was on a different scale to the westernised versions that they made for us officers (apprentice in my case). I left that ship after 6 months of eating curry pretty much every day, sometimes twice per day (there were other choices, but the curries were always to die for, and the smell alone too tempting). No surprise that I ended up at the doc when I got home with colic symptoms at the age of 19 :ohmy:.

bruce1530

Guru
I was once in a supermarket owned by an indian chap, and he was eating something from a foil container. It smelled fantastic.

I asked him what it was, he said "go into the take-away curry place further along the street, and ask them for a Lucky Curry".
"What's Lucky about it?"
"Lucky is my nickname - it's a recipe they do for me which is quite like the food we have at home".

So I went into the take-away place, got chatting to the owner, and he made me a "lucky curry". Can't quite remember what it was, but it wasn't on the menu. Was nicely spicy, and tasted great. I was a regular in that take away place for a while.

One night I was in there, and a couple off guys came in:

"Do you do Phall curry?"
"I can do you one if you want - are you sure? It's very hot"
The bravado kicked in: "Yeah - we're going for a quick pint, will be back for it in 15 minutes".

Watched the guy making it - could hardly breathe in the shop, so much chilli.
The two guys came back, picked up their food and left.

As they left the shop, the owner said to me, in a perfect west-of-scotland-asian accent, "Daft Ba*****ds, must be f****ng mad to eat that s**te - I wouldn't touch it"

I once got a huge bag of scotch bonnets cheap from Brixton Market and put most of them in a turkey curry. Totally inedible and i still don't much like that particular chilli. Thai birds eyes more my type.

newts

Veteran
We've grown all sorts of chillis over the years. Apache are great in all sorts of dishes.
Most are very easy to grow, don't over water them.
We just pick em & freeze them in a plastic pot, usually get enough to last until next years crop.

Top Bottom