Scotch bonnet chili

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Curried goat. Or use mutton if you can't source goat meat. Recipe here.

I am also a regular user of proper Jamaican jerk seasoning like this (Dunn's River brand is good too, and sold in Sainsbury's at the world food section), to make jerk chicken or pork. Plenty of scotch bonnet chilli in that!
All of this is good information that I endorse wholeheartedly :-)
Our Sainsbury's doesn't stock Dunn's River so I have to stock-up at Tesco. It bites!

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
I've never really understood - if I put one really hot chilli in one curry, and two chillis half as hot each in a second curry, do both curries end up equally hot?
l would think not but l could be wrong, it's a case of two halves not making a whole :evil:

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
I've grown chillies for a few years and Scotch bonnets or Habanero were the reliable and trusted staple. Mostly it was dried out and blended up into powder that I could share out or use when needed. We've made hot sauces. Although the last one was more a concentrate that blew my face off.

I've grown quite a few varieties from Cayenne up to the super hots. But they tend to be unusable.
Me too , l grow them (Habanero) every year and make a purée which is crazy hot and l just add a tiny amount to sauces,

Chris S

Legendary Member
Does anybody else find that chillies make them sleepy? I can't help thinking that there are people like me in Asia who've eaten them every day of their lives and who don't realize the effect that they're having.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Does anybody else find that chillies make them sleepy? I can't help thinking that there are people like me in Asia who've eaten them every day of their lives and who don't realize the effect that they're having.
Can't say they make me sleepy.....they certainly wake up a jaded pallet ^_^

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Curried goat. Or use mutton if you can't source goat meat. Recipe here.

I am also a regular user of proper Jamaican jerk seasoning like this (Dunn's River brand is good too, and sold in Sainsbury's at the world food section), to make jerk chicken or pork. Plenty of scotch bonnet chilli in that!
I like the look of the recipe not sure if l can get goat meat here in France but mutton isn't a problem !

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’ve grown loads of scotch bonnet this year.

One of my favourites is rooster claw/little devil. It packs a punch, dries quickly, then I flake it.

I once grew naga chilli. I gave some to a mate who worked with a West Indian lady. He would say “I had spicy…..”
She would reply “don’t give me spicy…”
He gave her a naga, which she unsuspectingly threw in the pot with a stew. It blew her socks off!

Here is a tip if you want to taste cuisine of the Caribbean Islands in one convenient place. Head to the annual Notting Hill Carnival which celebrates the Caribbean heritage and culture. It is actually a long winding parade in the vicinity of Ladbroke Grove Road. Near the halfway mark, there is a closed off side street where there 2 rows of food stalls and they carry the flag of the Island they come from.

At about 11.30am, most of the food will be ready as they cook it there. Just line up and do a series of sampling. The range is wide but Curried Goat, Jerk Chicken and Jerk Pork are common. Believe me you won't be disappointed. They all seem to be run by extended family members.

And Scotch Bonnet Chillies are in nearly every dish. Don't worry it is not fiery hot as they don't it slice open and it is meant for taste.

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
I add chillies to most meals- omelettes, pasta, etc and curries of course. Im really not into anything super hot and smoke coming out of my ears though! If i remember correctly chillies have more vitamins than any other veg. I certainly get a feeling of well-being after eating a well balanced multi dish Indian with raita/chutney/salad/nan ^_^

lazybloke

Considering a new username
That contest video looks insane. What does that do to the body, I wonder....

I just don't get it. I'll happily use a couple of purple haze in a recipe, but they're only about 75,000 on the scale. That's about my limit.
Have got a few hundred of them in the greenhouse, so they'll freeze and I'm good for the next year.

Mrs L also grew a "mixed" pack of seeds, which I'm keeping well clear of. I know it includes scotch bonnets.

Top Bottom