Scott AFD Expert flat bar hybrid conversion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, this seems to be the best way to go about this subject. I'm accumulating the parts and tools at the moment, as well as the knowledge. Hopefully, I won't try anything too stupid...

The idea is not just to go flat bar, but to use this rather nice alloy frame as wide-geared lightweight hybrid. If it goes well, I'll have the bike I want, and will likely have another punt at London to Brighton in 2019.

I will also try to keep the look of the thing reasonably in tune with the original layout. This will not be immediately do-able, as the bars, brakes and shifters I'm aiming to use for the moment are black. All else, where possible is shiny-shiny as per the original Sora groupset.

I've looked up the gearing calculations and the Ritchey chainset should work with the Alivio long-cage rd. It's at the supposed limit of capacity (45), but my reading here on CC suggests you can stretch this a bit anyway. If not, then I have a smaller chainset to try.

The biggest single problem is the mixing of controls. The rd should be fine with the Altus shifter, so far as I can tell. The brake levers are not optimal for calipers. And I don't know if the Altus shifter will properly control the Sora fd. If all this goes wrong, then separate shifters and levers are not too difficult to source, just that I rather like the combined units.

Things I don't yet know: how to assess the correct length of chain, as I can't simply compare it to the old one; if I need to use the smaller chainset, how to adjust the Sora fd to work with it.

OK, that's enough to be going on with!

Last edited:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing#article-section-4 Used this successfully when I put a larger cassette on one of my bikes. Worked a treat.

Further somewhat mind-bending research has led me to understand this:
Basically, any Shimano 8-speed Rd shifter *should* work with any 8 -speed rd. All good. However, front derailleurs are a different matter. So I need to do one of two things. 1) get a set of shifters that work with road front and mtb rear. The only set I can find is Claris, which ought to be fine.
2) find a braze-on mtb front derailleur that will work with what I have.
I cannot use any form of adaptor as the seat tube is not round. Unless of course, there are other things as yet undiscovered.
Option 1 would seem to cover ALL bases as these are STI-compatible shifters and should work fine with caliper brakes.
How am I doing?

Looking at the Norco donor bike, it would seem that the brake levers are not those for V-brakes after all, but a good bit longer, so they may be a complete solution if I can overcome the problem of controlling the Sora fd.

Have discovered these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-ST-R221-R-ST-R225-L-EZ-FIRE-HANDLEBARS/dp/B078TMTR14

Probably best bet for flat bars I've found so far, and best price.

Above ordered. As I'm currently house/dog sitting at a friend's palatial pad in the country, rather than my poky one-bed council flat, I have all the time and space I need to do this, plus a repair stand to do it on! Just have to fetch the donor bike form storage.
Next step: doing the deed, with pictures.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I wouldn't worry about chain length. In 30+ years, I've never once shortened a chain for a road bike, mtb, hybrid or my tourer. Never had a problem.
In some ways it pays to have a slightly too long chain. Out for a ride and the chain snaps? Remove the broke link and rejoin with a split link. Still have a perfectly good chain that isn't too short.

Last edited:
Ok, today is bar change day. Strictly about changing the hardware. Cabling comes later, because I've never done it before.
20180512_102141.jpg

Very tight cable runs on the drop bars.

Snipped everything off and removed bars and stem. Replaced with Norco items from donor bike, after stripping off Alltus shifter set. Put new shifter set on.
20180512_105551.jpg

Left it that for today. Completion Monday and ride Tuesday .

Went well. Just a couple of laps of Burrator reservoir, stopping and fettling as required. Enough for the shoulder too.Tweaked the bar position a bit. My biggest concern was that the brakes worked, and they are as good or better than before.
So nice to have this bike unencumbered by drop bar style brifters. Horrible things.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom