Scott Big Jon - QR Axle problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drummerbod

One week old Scott Big Jon purchased from Tweeks Cycles. Tried to remove QR Axle on rear wheel. Required huge amounts of force to undo QR Axle. Emailed Tweeks - no response after 2 days so thought I would take a closer look.
Found the hole in the hanger is too small for the QR axle. So the axle was trying to cut it's own thread through the hanger in order to reach the nut on the other side.
The force required to remove and redo the axle has gnarled up the QR lever.
Whoever assembled this at the factory would have noticed a problem.
To resolve - it will require a new hanger (that works) and QR axle.

Video here (sorry about low mic volume)...

lpretro1

Tweeks as Sellers responsibility - no problem

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

Rang Tweeks yesterday as no response - 20 minute queue. I was told the workshop manager would ring me back that day. Still not heard anything.
I have asked for a refund.

So it's a bolted thru axle with a QR tightening action. I assume it's just the thread that goes through and that's what's tight. Personally, if that's the case, I'd be tempted to use a round file on it. I had to do the same thing on my Kinesis build. I realize this is not a build but a bought bike but it doesn't sound like there's much in it. Of course, if you'd rather not that's perfectly understandable.

Ahh just seen that the thread is now gnarled. What an arse.

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

Just for clarity, the hanger isn't supposed to be threaded. The axle bolt should go through the hanger without interfenerence into seperate nut that's held in place with a grub screw.

You're right - I could drill it out bigger but the QR handle\mechanism is gnarled up. Tweeks approach to customer service is zero so sod em. They had their chance.

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

Well Tweeks never got back to me so went to finance company and informed them they were now liable. Within a couple of hours Tweeks rang me and will be sending me a box to put the bike in and arrange collection.

Top Bottom