Scott MC50 sus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I've just bought a Scott genius MC50 off the bay, the rear sus doesn't seem to be setup or locking out. I am assuming its borkedbut before I pay Evans to service it is there anyone in central Mcr or Rochdale way I could use a shock pump and give it a go failing that I'll go and buy one.....I'm new to this sus thingy so if anyone could point me in the direction of an idiots setup guide it would help, I'm fairly mechanically minded and want to learn.

Its a fixer upper for the eldest lad and rides fairly nice considering it needs a damn good cleaning/servicing/oiling.
Cheers peeps.

Jody

Stubborn git
What happens with the rear when you put your weight on it and why do you think its knacked?

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
In the supposedly locked out position, (cable loose) the rear sags a bit once I sit on it. I’d assume it wouldn't move? There doesn't seem to be a diff between any of the three settings. It is an 06-07 bike I think. Clearly it's either borked or not setup right or I'm an oaf.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's supposed to sag upto 30% when you sit on it (front and rear). About 20% for a 100mm travel bike, 30% for 130mm

On lockout, it will still move a little, but it's much stiffer.

Jody

Stubborn git
In the supposedly locked out position, (cable loose) the rear sags a bit once I sit on it. I’d assume it wouldn't move? There doesn't seem to be a diff between any of the three settings. It is an 06-07 bike I think. Clearly it's either borked or not setup right or I'm an oaf.

Lockout can be tuned and usually doesn't mean locked out fully. Mine will be firm unless I drop off something then the pressure allows the shock to move.

Post a pic up of the shock and what model.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Thanks everyone, Jody, will do later when I'm home. I'm servicing everything on it as its in need of it and piece of mind.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
This is the shock Jody.

Attachments

• 33390CD8-8ED8-427D-95A8-8D2DF97BC8AE.jpeg
    33390CD8-8ED8-427D-95A8-8D2DF97BC8AE.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21

fossyant

A google shows up that these shocks can be a bit unreliable. Given its not a fox or rock shox I'd be wary of pulling it to bits for lack of spares.

I'd not be worried about lockout, as I never use mine.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Yeah I’ve seen the horror stories. It seems the positioning is the issue, once I’m up and running I’ll be fashioning a cover of some sorts for the lower section as that looks like the likely point of failure.
Thanks for the help

Jody

Stubborn git
Looks like a pull sock rather than the usual compression type and an unusual one at that. I have very little knowledge on these but it might just be something as simple as the shock is pumped up too hard.

I also use my lock out so little that I wouldn't miss it if it broke.

fossyant

Ah, ok....thought I was missing out on some nirvana moment.^_^

Nope.

Suspension is designed these days so well, you might as well leave it on. Although this bike is 'older' it should be OK. I always leave front and rear fully open.

If it's working, and holding pressure then leave it be. I guess it's unlikely to have a hard life being for your son - unless he's out most days in poor weather.

Just got a full sus (2nd hand) for my wife, and it's unlikely I'll ever need to service it, other than making sure the stantions and seals are clean.

Top Bottom