Scott windriver faulty shifter and other questions (shimano deore x7)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joeletaxi

Regular
I have in my shed a scott windriver bike which i think has a faulty rear shifter. The shifter has an up and down lever and whilst the lever for 1>8 works, the 8>1 lever is a bit clicky in that as you operate it, it doesnt often engage so it doesnt do anything. I did take the shifter mech apart to have a look and i come to the conclusion that it was probably worn ?

I was given this bike a while ago and i really like it. Its nice and light. It has a Cr Mo frame The problem is i think the frame size is small for me.

The measurement from the seat post insertion point to the underside of the bottom bracket is about 18 inches. I'm about 6ft with a 33/34 inside leg.

The other thing is the handlebar adjustment. It would be nice if they sat a little higher? Am i right in thinking this cant happen as its already set as high as it will go?

thanks

Tojo

Über Member
I had the same ones on my Orange clockwork, and I had the same problem a couple of years ago stripped it and cleaned it and re-greased it, it worked fine after that, I think it was just gummed up......:cuppa:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
As for the handlebars you can get a stem riser to bring them up higher - this one is very cheap.
Screenshot_2016-07-10-21-34-09.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
The measurement from the seat post insertion point to the underside of the bottom bracket is about 18 inches. I'm about 6ft with a 33/34 inside leg.
This frame is seriously too small for you, unless the top tube is on a massive slope.
For a 'mountain'/hybrid bike someone with 33" inside leg would be recommended a 19"-20" frame (YMMV). This is measured from centre of the bottom bracket (not the bottom) to the centre of where a horizontal top tube would intersect the seat tube.
My 5'5" daughter's bike measures the same as yours, and it fits her.

Top Bottom