Scottish peeps... ever done Dumfries to Ayrshire coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cal44

Hi All,

Looking at heading from Ayrshire on the train to Dumfries and then cycling to Portpatrick spending the night and heading up to Ayrshire on day two. Anyone local done this? Is this feasible regarding hills etc? Me and my buddy have cycled 30+ training rides no problem on the hybrids and travelled 60miles in 5ish hours on flatish roads around the central belt. Time frame is an issue as we are both fathers of 2 year olds and dont want to leave the ladies too long. Also the advice I am looking for is to camp or not to camp or look at b and b options in the area.

Thanks everyone!

toroddf

I am actually planning this tour myself and is watching the skies and the weather..... Come on, sun !

Please open up Google Maps/Earth now before continuing reading.

The main road from Stranraer to Ayr is full of heavy lorries and other fast flowing traffic. So forget that one. But there is a great alternative though...

Out of Stranraer, take the road towards Dumfries for 2 miles or so. You come to a signpost saying "Barrhill 17" (third line from above). Take that road. It is a single track road with hardly any houses and vegetation for 17 miles. It is as remote as planet Mars and that is where you will feel you have landed. The road seems slightly undulating. When passing the railway station at Barrhill and you are down at the main road again and on my own tour I did last year. The hill over to Girvan, probably you biggest hill of the day, is easy stuff. Very enjoyable though and something to look forward to.

Where I turned inland after Turnberry, I would suggest sticking to the coast up to Ayr at the very scenic coastal road. Easy, but very enjoyable.

It's 30 years since I was driving in the area

But I was just looking at a wee bit similar for the summer - and a fwiw, the A75 Stranraer to Dumfries used to be hooching with fast big trucks (lots of them cattle trucks - yeeeuk) and caravans.

I'm looking at
- Dumfries-Castle Douglas (by the old military road)
- CD-Kirkcudbright-Gatehouse (old roads)
- Gatehouse - Newton Stewart on the A75
- Newton Stewart by the back road to Glenluce? Hills? For me - worth it to get off the A75. Nasty 400 foot climb.

Bikehike says 85 miles, max height 524ft, total ascent 3308ft (where A75 gives you only 78miles, max 443, total ascent 3271)

But like I say - old memories. So treat this with all due .......... "respect" :ohmy:

Camping --------- I'm planning on camping. Even though in my first year living in Dumfries we only once had 2 consecutive days without it raining! West coast rain is softer and not so wet :tongue:

Midgies? Naaaah - not in Dumfries and Galloway. At least ...... not in my day - I think of them as Highland and West Coast.

Gotta speak Gaelic to be licenced as a biting midge :whistle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Probably not relevant if you want to take in Portpatrick, but I once cycled the other direction - Largs to Dumfries via Ayr. Down the coast to Ayr, then to Maybole, Crosshill, Straiton and Dalmellington on the B roads. From Dalmellington I had to use the A713 but it is reasonably quiet. Stayed on that to Carsphairn then took the B729 to Moniaive, Kirkland, Dunscore and into Dumfries. My first and only 100 miler :smile:.

OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Cheers for the advice on the routes, I've driven to Portpatrick before down the main road from Ayr and is very heavily used by large trucks which I would very much like to avoid. Even if it adds a few miles it will be worth it for the peace of mind and enjoyment factor. As for the camping I think this will be the better option and I have a midge face net from a walking trip in Knoydart peninsula last year. Although as mentioned above I don't think there should be too many around this area.

Not planning to do this until September as I said but good to get advice and plan ahead.

I too was planning the road along to Castle Douglas, thought it would be nice to get a bit of sightseeing in and seemed like a natural place for a stop for lunch depending on timing of trains etc and how fast we pedal. However I didn't know about the old military road so will check it out.

Good few options above to consider, will check them out on the maps and see which one takes my fancy. So thanks again for advice!

toroddf

I will probably do my route as listed above at the end of June, a 100 miler, and will be bragging like a donkey in this forum. Come back (bring a sick bag) at the end of June to find my report and pictures.

OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Look forward to it...no sick bag for me as I'll be very interested to see how you found the roads re how busy they are and how enjoyable you have found it as well. Got the Scotland road map out tonight to have a look at some of the possibilities, bit easier on the eye than staring at the screen all night. Do prefer the online maps sometimes though for recommended routes....

toroddf

I may actually repeat some of your route 12 months later, Raybo. The £ 22 trainfare to Stranraer is not good value for money so I will instead take the seven quid train down to Ayr and do the 150 miles (New Galloway - Glenluce - Paisley) in two days with my new tent.

I read your whole report from Carlisle to Berwick again. Well written. Yes, I also remember Kilmartin well. I completed Kilmartin to Oban two years ago and you did not miss anything. Three big hills and pretty uneventful bikeriding. So I turn my attention to the south this time.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The £ 22 trainfare to Stranraer is not good value for money

That's an understatement, Toroddf ^_^. I couldn't believe how much they wanted for a single to Stranraer from here, considering it isn't really that far away. And they want us to use public transport more, :laugh:.

Have a look at Sustrans route "Lochs and Glens (South)" there might be parts of that route you could follow.

This is a stunning route with some wonderful down hills.

Also lots of other interest. In particular there are some ancient tombs at Bargrennen, and an interesting campaign to bring home the bodies of the "residents".

toroddf

Yes, Stranraer will be forgotten by me. The train down to Girvan is reasonable though. £ 9 or so. But the final hour from there to Stranraer is another £ 13. The train to Barrhill cost me £ 13 last year. Both were rip offs although the ride from Barrhill to Girvan was excellent.

I have noticed that the trainfare from Glasgow to Dumfries, one way, is around £ 13. That is reasonable. The return to Largs/Paisley, hogging the coastline to Glenluce with return over Girvan and Ayr, is 190 miles/300 km. Not many hills, but a lot of wonderful sights. It has been added to my must do list of bikerides. This summer or later. I do not know. That is a two and a half days bikeride for me as I want to see as much of the area as possible.

That for me is good value for money, the train fare down to Dumfries and I will do it.

Sorry Cal44 for the hijacking and making this into a Dumfries and Galloway special thread. But you will probably get a lot of useful newly aquired insight information, pothole to pothole, before your ride in September.

Top Bottom