Scottish weather in August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
My apologies, thought there would be a greater difference than that, seeing how far north it is. :smile:

No need for apologies, I was a little surprised myself!:rolleyes:

http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/sun/ukmap.php

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snorri said:
No need for apologies, I was a little surprised myself!:ohmy:

http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/sun/ukmap.php

Thank you for that link. :rolleyes:
If you follow the link to www.earthtools.org you can find the sunset and sunrise times for any part of the country at any date. I think the difference between Worcester and Edinburgh starts to increase, the closer you get to late December.

You can move the map of Britain over the " + " sign to accurately calculate it, if you are so inclined. ;) Isn't it fascinating what can be found on tinternet?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Speicher said:
If I did a train trip to Edinburgh in late October, early November:

Approx what time does it get dark.
Will I miss the Autumn Colours on the trees? Yes, I know you haven't got a crystal ball, but an intelligent estimate would do. thank you

In recent years the trees have senesced quite late so it is possible you will see the Autumn Colours, but there are no guarantees...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:
It's August now and I'm still waiting to see or feel the first midgie of the year, sun beating down again today:becool::biggrin:.

Having just returned from field work in the Grampians, I was surprised by just how many midgies there were, as soon as it stopped raining the wee b*st*rds were out and active. It came as a surprise as they were in places where you don't usually have a problem with them.

Dannyg said:
So in summary, Scotland in August did not quite prove to be the sub-tropical paradise...

What do you mean it is not sub-tropical, this year we have had a monsoon season in August, typical sub-tropical weather...:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:
Only in the southern latitudes, further north the rivers are low as a result of the long dry spell;).

There was definitely monsoon rain in Aviemore last week and it didn't stop until I reached Fife. The odd thing was there was heaver rain in Aviemore than there was on the mountain top on which I was working most of the week... If you nip down to Spay Bay I think you'll find there is a fair bit o' water coming down...;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aye Nairn has it's own wee micro climate, one day I will move back...

Top Bottom