Scottish weather in August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Here's a pic taken today in Sutherland:

IMG_1614.jpg

looks not too bad to me :tongue:

I love it where was It taken in Sutherland

Noodley

spandex said:
I love it where was It taken in Sutherland

Loch Loyal, between Tongue and Altnaharra. En route from Bettyhill where I have spent the past week in glorious weather with temperatures in the mid-20s

Loads of cyclists in evidence, I spoke to a few when I was out for a spin and passed many others whilst travelling about.

Jaded

Weather over the last few weeks on the West Coast has varied between dreich and 10˙C, to 30˙C and baking hot - sitting outside the Applecross Inn in t-shirt and shorts until sunset (21:45)

So, arm warmers, longs or leg warmers, waterproofs.

Midges are having a quiet season this year, but they are about. Clegs are bad this year.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:
Yes, I know that;), but I just get fed up of the 'Scotland is covered in midgies' nonsense that is so frequently repeated on here.:biggrin:

Aye a ken how you feel :smile:

As some one who the midgies go for (some people really do get bitten more that others) I often feel the comments are exaggerated. Yes being badly midgied is a miserable experience, but it doesn't happen very often. Most of the time if you take a few sensible precautions they don't really a problem.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Hairy Jock said:
Yes being badly midgied is a miserable experience, but it doesn't happen very often. Most of the time if you take a few sensible precautions they don't really a problem.
Last time I camped in Scotland we made the mistake of not completely zipping up the tent door. Although the gap was probably only an inch or so it was wide enough for a huge number of midges to infiltrate the tent around dawn. As it was a warm night we both had large areas of skin exposed and woke up covered in midges and feeling as if our skin was burning up.

Next night we moved into a B&B - I think that was the only time in my life that I have abandoned camping.

Noodley said:
Here's a pic taken today in Sutherland:

IMG_1614.jpg

looks not too bad to me :idea:

Loch loyal is amazing. I rode it last year (or rather the road down the side of it).

Regarding the main topic of this thread, all the scots I just met on my lejog were saying that this year is unusually dry for scotland, particularly in the east. We definitely had the best weather of our tour in scotland - we only got one soaking in 5 days.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Regarding the main topic of this thread, all the scots I just met on my lejog were saying that this year is unusually dry for scotland, particularly in the east. We definitely had the best weather of our tour in scotland - we only got one soaking in 5 days.
Well we're back now and didn't have quite such good weather - in fact it was more like:

Day 1 - persistent rain
Day 2 - torrential downpours
Day 3 - no rain, but no sun either
Day 4 - heavy rain
Day 5 - light showers

In between the rain the weather was actually OK, but not exactly what I would call warm. In fact most of the time I wore a long sleeve top and gillet, and once had to put on a fleece. However before I get accused of being a southern softy I would point out that most of the Scottish cyclists we met were wearing longs and winter jackets.

So in summary, Scotland in August did not quite prove to be the sub-tropical paradise, basking in perpetual sunshine and caressed by warn gentle breezes, that the Caledonian contingent had promised.

But we had a great few days cycling!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Dannyg said:
So in summary, Scotland in August did not quite prove to be the sub-tropical paradise, basking in perpetual sunshine and caressed by warn gentle breezes, that the Caledonian contingent had promised.
Oh - you missed that day ;) - must have been the one before you arrived .....
But we had a great few days cycling!
:biggrin::biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If I did a train trip to Edinburgh in late October, early November:

Approx what time does it get dark.
Will I miss the Autumn Colours on the trees? Yes, I know you haven't got a crystal ball, but an intelligent estimate would do. thank you

Top Bottom