Scottish weather in August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Flying_Monkey said:
It was pissing down every day we were up there! Especially in Durness... :angry:

No it wasn't, we had one wet day! But yes we were piss wet through in Durness - needed to employ the british wartime spirit to get through that one! The rest of it was just blowing a gale...

In fact, here you are on that very day. Soaked to the skin (and HAIRY!). Ah the memories...
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yools6&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

U

User482

I did my lejog last September and it was warm the whole time, with rain on one day only. I guess that spare thin layers and some light weight waterproofs are the answer.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If it is anything like the last few days, it could be anything from basing sun to heavy down pours (there is a thunder storm just passing now), I would go with User482 suggestion of spare thin layers and some light weight waterproofs...

snorri

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
we won't be battling through arctic blizzards all the way from Glasgow to Inverness.
So now I am wondering whether there is any point in bringing swimming things as we will be passing several large lochs, including Lomand and Tay. Can you swim in them or am I being over ambitious?
I seem to remember swimming in Loch Ness on a family holiday when I was about 10 and thinking it was freezing.
Latest update...the last of the snow disappeared last week from the hills I can see from my house.;)
Swimming in freshwater lochs is not without some danger, these deeper lochs do not warm up in summer, be careful, better take a wetsuit.
The sea has warmed up nicely:smile: I know it has warmed up because the Lions Mane Jelly fish are around in abundance:biggrin:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
snorri said:
Latest update...the last of the snow disappeared last week from the hills I can see from my house.:biggrin:
Swimming in freshwater lochs is not without some danger, these deeper lochs do not warm up in summer, be careful, better take a wetsuit.
The sea has warmed up nicely:smile: I know it has warmed up because the Lions Mane Jelly fish are around in abundance:biggrin:
Hmm...not sure if there is room for a wetsuit, though it could be good for keeping the jelly fish off ;)

Perhaps I'll just paddle if there's a heat wave - assuming Scotland ever has heat waves :smile:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Anthony said:
I remember swimming in loch ness. It was one of three wash days during my 3 week tour! Yes I did smell.
That's probably what killed off the Loch Ness monster ;)

toontra

Veteran
I'm off to Scotland for a 2-week cycle holiday next week and the weather forecast is diabolical - 13-14c and rain almost every day!

Moonlight

Scotland? Isn't that some vast icy wilderness near the North Pole? Take a handlebar mounted crossbow with silver bolts to fight of the wargs. A dreamcatcher at night is essential to help ward off the demons.

Christopher

Über Member
+1 Moonlight!
However, don't forget your Potion of Healing (2 litre bottle of Irn-Bru!) and bad sunburn (to blend in)

Actually Herself and I are off to Scotland tomorrow for a 4-day mini-tour in Dumfries, starting from beautiful Lockerbie :biggrin:, so it's Scotland-lite: less hills, fewer midges and more roads than the Highlands...

Top Bottom