SCP blocked for non opt-inners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A good move IMHO; but I see it is still possible to accidentally access SCP by clicking on a new or trending thread in the appropriate column - where there is no warning as to which board the post is on. Is it possible to block that from happening too?
Please note, this is a genuine "site support" question and is not intended to become a locked thread about the pro's and cons of SCP..

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Has it actually started yet? I can still see it in the forum list and I haven't opted in.
And in New Posts, it tells you which forum each post is in (at least it does on a computer, not sure what the mobile version shows).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not sure its a good idea at all.

I had no idea its status had changed as i don't frequent cafe or site support. A banner at the top of the site would have been more easily spotted.

Not advertising the opt in stands the risk of making sc&p a silo for those who frequent the area and attracting no discussion from outside.

Its making it even less likely to attract more readership.

Greater moderation....excellent, hope the mods can deal with that.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Has it actually started yet? I can still see it in the forum list and I haven't opted in.
And in New Posts, it tells you which forum each post is in (at least it does on a computer, not sure what the mobile version shows).
Its not in my "new post" section, even on threads that i know are new.

New or trending does not seem to take acct of any preferences you've expressed elsewhere so it's probably an add on that can't

Shaun

Founder
It hasn't started yet - the SC&P, Cafe and Support posts I made last night are there to signpost it to anyone who has missed the announcement that was posted in Site News on Wednesday: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/opt-in-change-for-the-society-culture-and-politics-forum.213848/ - it'll also be mentioned in the new member welcome personal message with details of how to opt-in.

I will probably make the change tonight or tomorrow night.

Cheers,
Shaun

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I disagree with the move. And it's confirmed something I've been considering for about a year - that this forum isn't for me any more.

This is still a nice British cycling forum, but since I've moved away from Britain, I'm feeling less and less 'British' in my interests and so I don't feel so connected. I've also found that I've totally lost my interest in Pro-Cycling (which I used to spend most of my time discussing here when not in SC&P). Added to this is the fact that most of the people I really liked when I came to this forum, irrespective of the section of the forum they posted in, are no longer here. I've made it quite clear that I really dislike the attitude of some of the posters and moderators here to allowing any old political prejudice (so long as it's the 'stands to reason' right-wing type) in other areas of the forum and at the same time are promoting an exclusionary and prejudicial 'us and them' attitude to people who post in SC&P (regardless of where else they post too). The last straw in this trend is the 'opt-in' ghettoization of SC&P . I think it's completely the wrong solution. But this isn't a complaint: I recognise it's not my forum, and not just in terms of ownership and management, it's not my forum in just about every other way these days. So it's time for me to spend my online time elsewhere, and I've got a book to write anyway...

It's been nice knowing you, I've enjoyed many the discussions in SC&P over the years, much of which was far, far better than the popular stereotype elsewhere on the forum. And I've enjoyed the other parts of the forum, Pro-Cycling, the Training section, even the Café sometimes, too. It was a worthy successor to the spirit of the old C+ Forums, and in general it retains that open and welcoming atmosphere, although it's grown to something that's far far bigger than it's precursors.

So, thank-you @Shaun, good luck with it all, and keep on cycling.

People who want to contact me, you probably know where I am anyway and I'm not hard to find if you don't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom