Scrap or repair my old bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
there are a few things I can do to it without having to buy new parts such as getting the gears shifting properly. So I will give that a go anyway. I might learn something about bike maintainance and if I screw thigs up I have not lost anything. if that goes well I might concider the rest. I guess I can do it in stages and spread the cost also. If at any point it looks like a lemon I can just stop there

If you 'screw things up' you've learnt something.

Given your other posts up thread I'd see it as an opportunity to pick up replacement parts and learn. Depending upon your timescale you could take more time to source parts rather than full price. Then learn how to do the repairs.

You may surprise yourself - and have cash left over. I'd start by working out what's needed and then searching - ask on here as well if you're unsure.

There may be a men's shed/communal bike workshop nearby who have the tools for use already. It's worth checking - and they've also the skills to pass on

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Do you have mounts for rim brakes front and back? In any event, I agree it’s easily to descend gradually into a money pit.

no rim break mounts disc only

Gillstay

Über Member
The front fork is the make or break item for this bike.

A 26inch wheel front ridgid fork that can take a disk break seems to be rare. I am not going to have a v break front and a disc rear.
Im am also seeing comments that ridid front forks could work out to be shorter than the susspenion type and that would not be great.

Margins are tight for this bike. Im still on the fence if its worth spending anything on it. I did spend quite a bit of time giving it a deep clean. If I do end up looking for a new bike It would eed to be a higher quality oe ext time. but the 26inch wheel mtb format is a thing of the past but I quite like that type of setup

I think I have such a fork, but it has a long stem on it. How long is the steerer tube . I think that is the correct term.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
You can get all the things you want for it secondhand and much cheaper than even £100. Check Ebay and Freecycle, Facebook marketplace etc.

when it comes to finding a ridgid fork there are loads but they all seem to be standard length forks that might be too short for a bike designed for a suspension fork. and I was only looking to spend £30-40 on the fork. I can get a replacment susspention fork for £40 so that is looking to be a good option

wow it is hard to justify spending money on my old bike when i see you can buy bikes such as the vitus mach 1 seven (tourney) brand new for £220.

It depends what you want; I fixed up my own bikes because I wanted to learn how to do it, and have something unique that was exactly how I wanted it.

Secondly, buying a "cheap" bike can be a false economy. An "expensive" rebuild can give you a bike that will happily carry you for thousands of kilometres, and the security of knowing you can fix what goes wrong. As @vickster says, cheaper new bikes often have cheap parts which wear out, and in some cases aren't properly put together in the first place; I often get customers coming to my workshop hoping I can "fix" their shiny new cheap bike; generally they're disappointed.

Generally the rear mech is the best quality part on the bike, and the other parts will be cheaper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom