Scratch repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Does anyone know what is a good black scratch repair. I've been trying to get a tacx training tyre on my boardman hybrid and the tyre levers have scratched the rims

Thanks

Brandane

Legendary Member
A car touch up kit? It's a small bottle of paint with a nail varnish type brush built in. Hal-fords (much as it pains me to recommend them) have a good range when it comes to obtaining a close match.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You're unlikely to get an exact match as the rims will be anodised and your options will typically be pen or paint. Either will do to take the obvious edge off the exposed metal but neither will be invisible.

Pen goes on easier and has no appreciable thickness, but can wear off and tends to have a bit of a purple tinge. Paint may require better prep to prevent it chipping off but will give a more solid, true black.

BC pens are OK but they tend to dry out / the tips get furry and imprecise. I'd probably go for a tin of Humbrol and a cocktail stick after a good prep with isopropanol or maybe a bit of an acid etch; although I'm not sure how the latter would affect the existing anodising.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Accept it, it happens. It's a bike not a Picasso....

Top Bottom