Seagull down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Cycling along this evening i saw a car pulled up with the driver in the cycle lane holding something. As i got closer i saw it was a gull or a seagull or whatever they're called. He told me that it'd kind of hit his car after swooping down to pick at some chips in the road. The poor thing was just sat there in his hands. He said he was going to try and find a vet that'd take it in. He put in in a box with a blanket he had in his car. There's not much chance of finding a vet on a Sunday i said to him. To be fair he phoned one or two but all said they wouldn't take it and if they did they'd put it to sleep. Anway, by the time he'd finished making calls the poor thing had died. We decided the best thing to do with it would be to leave it in some grass next to the pavement,thinking that at least it might make a meal tonight for a hungry fox. I told him he did a decent thing in stopping to help it,rather than just driving off as most would probably do. Well done to that driver :thumbsup: and the thumbs down to the slob who threw chips out their car,which caused the bird to be hit in the first place!:thumbsdown:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Seagulls are pest. If you lived by the seaside, like me, you would hate them. There are thousands of them and they will steal your food from your hand if you turn your back of them.

snorri

Legendary Member
Seagulls are pest. If you lived by the seaside, like me, you would hate them. There are thousands of them and they will steal your food from your hand if you turn your back of them.
Seagulls are only a "pest" because some human beings are careless with waste food disposal and fail to cover products that gulls consider edible.
When the humans clean up their act the gull numbers will fall.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
They are already falling, which is why they’re a protected species...
Gull habits are changing as they move more into urban areas due to easy availability of food which gives the appearance of numbers increasing. It is possible for councils to obtain a government licence to control numbers under a strict set of circumstances. You will not get a licence just due to them being a nuisance

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Are all gull species protected?
Yes. Numbers can only be reduced by special license

The issue isn't gulls. It's the way we dispose of unwanted food. In the "old days" seagulls lived at the seaside and they ate washed up stuff from the sea like dead fish. Now we shove chips into bins and then are surprised when the canny seagulls get after them

TVC

Yes, under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Excellent, I do see less these days which is a shame. I must say The Black Headed Gull is my favourite, I find they take an elegant shape in flight. The Herring Gull is just comic, definitely the clown of the gull kingdom.

Top Bottom